Palpable

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: Thrace

Email :

UserID : 53497

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Donkey Kong Country

Name of song arranged: Gang-Plank Galleon

Own comments: Favorite song of the soundtrack. I had always wanted to do a metal cover of this song, they're tons of covers out there for this song for sure, but I like to think I've given it a slightly unique twist, enjoy! :)

Solid metal cover with good energy. At 2:15-long, I was hoping this wouldn't repeat anything wholesale, so it was good that it didn't. The main verse briefly repeated from 1:08-1:23, albeit with a different drum pattern and different chugs underneath, so some variation was provided.

Though I'm not inherently against fadeout endings, this fadeout ending was a letdown. I would have liked more of an actual conclusion here, but perhaps it's just personal taste. This packs a lot into the 2:15 length, and this was a well-personalized cover. Wouldn't have minded another 30-60 seconds for a finish with more finality, but otherwise everything's clicking here with a very spirited version. Nice work, Daniel! \m/

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Highs are hyped and the mix sounds brittle.  Backing guitar should not be louder than the lead, lead is too quiet all the way through.  Performances though are wonderful.  Straightforward arrangement with great personalization.  Soloing starting at 1:36 is dynamite.  I'm enjoying it!  Agreed with Larry about the fadeout, I would prefer a proper resolution, it's a shame and it even cuts off before fully fading out.  BLARG.  Ok I still dig it enough to 

YES

There were a couple of times where I felt the lead guitar went a little sharp, but the other judges didn't mention anything so it might just be me. Aside from that I agree with Larry and Kris that the mix is personalized and has a lot going for it for how short it is. Really would have liked a better ending, and I almost feel like it drags things below the bar, but I think it squeaks by.

Yes (borderline)

Gonna echo Kris & DA's crits on the overall EQ being high heavy as well as the occasionally out of tune lead.  Both aren't dealbreaks, but can be dealth with reasonably easily in post-production.

Overall, this is a short & sweet rock rendition of the theme.

Boo fadeout ending.  It wasn't a super smooth fadeout either with the sudden drop in volume at the very end.  I feel like this one just gets by with good performances and arrangement ideas, but it also feels like it leaves quite a bit on the table with the one-and-done fadeout approach.

YES