Chimpazilla

Remixer name: worldsbestgrandpa
Christian name: n/a
Email address: 
User id: 49865

Game: Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Arrangement: "Soggy Carousel"
Original Source: "Windmill Hut"
Instruments: button-box accordion, autoharp, toy-piano, pokemon card on bicycle spokes, creaky door

Step right up
go around and around
a mechanical melody
lifts your feet from the ground

the smile is a snare
the song is a spell
top hats and coat tails
hide the sin well

what's wholesome or wicked
you cannot tell

beware the carousel

-worldsbestgrandpa

My main reason for paneling this instead of DPing it is that the arrangement gets repetitive because the instrumentation stays the same throughout.  The song feels much longer than it is because of this.  I have only one other crit, at 0:58 the toy piano takes the lead and it is much too quiet while the accordion stays loud as a backing element.  So 0:58-1:27 I feel isn't mixed right.  And yeah, SoS melody over and over again, although there are nice little variations, speedups, time signature change, etc.  I'm a sucker for anything Zelda but especially THIS source, and the accordion and toy piano combo is such a unique way to tackle it.  Despite the repetition and some minor mixing issues, the creativity here carries it for me.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The piece was 3:32-long, so I needed at least 106 seconds of overt source usage for the VGM to be dominant in the arrangement. I didn't suspect anything was close here, but the original writing additions merely sounded Zelda-y and seamlessly combined with the Windmill Hunt/Song of Storms theme, thus I wanted to trust but verify.

:29.5-:44, :58-1:10, 1:27.75-1:59.75, 2:12.75-2:37.5, 2:50.5-3:30 = 122.75 seconds or 57.9%

Arrangement-wise, I agreed with Chimpa on the personalization being strong enough to outdo any concerns on sameyness with the instrumentation. Nice work per grandpa's usual!

YES

Instinct was telling me this was a DP when it started, but as it went on... yeah I can see why it was panelled, since it does have some repetitive moments.  Production checks out fine for me, the only issue is that the toy piano is too quiet like Chimpy mentioned. Generally though, this is a well personalised, unique and fitting take on a popular source tune. I dig it. 

YES