*NO* Gun.Smoke 'The Smoking Gun'

Liontamer

Contact Info (Required Fields):

ReMixer Name: Nighteyes The Wolf

ReMix Info (Required Fields +1)

Name of Game ReMixed: Gunsmoke

Comments: Time really flies. I can't believe 3 years have passed since I first submitted a mix! Crazy! Anyway, I decided to go with a different game this time, Gunsmoke. I was going to do another game that hadn't been done before, but for some reason this one stood out. I noticed there were only 2 other remixes, so I went for it. I went with a complete rock remix this time rather than mixing genres. I think this is the music that played when you paused the game, or maybe what played when you were at the shop. I haven't played it in so long, so I really don't remember. I do, however, remember thinking that the music soundewd cool and had potential. Anyway, I hope you like it. I filled out all the ID3v2 info I could, but I didn't have ALL the fields you mentioned, so I filled out the ones I saw. I hope this meets your guidelines. I hope to see this mix make the site. I'll check back in a few weeks. If it does, I'll try not to be such a stranger and maybe do some more mixes. Thanks!

"The perfect moment has just come and gone"

• 4 weeks later...

Relying on that one riff from the original - verbatim - isn't the best way to lead off the arrangement, in my opinion. Considering the source starts that same way and you use the riff a whole lot of times, I would REALLY encourage some variation there. Whether you change the rhythm, the melody, or the underlying chord progression, anything would work to break up the repetition there. The parts where you bring in the heavier rhythm guitars and lead are a welcome change, and the panning at 2:01 to the beat is pretty awesome. So, you've got some good ideas in here for sure. However, they're not expanded on enough. The original might have been simplistic but you're allowed to add your own material and make more significant changes. In fact, it's encouraged. Also, 2:36 is a little on the short side, even for a source that is brief - if it's going to be that length, at least write a proper ending rather than an abrupt cutoff.

The production and the performance were both sounding solid to me. I think the main thing here is just a deeper interpretation. You're on the right track.

NO

Heh. Pretty simple source tune. Sounds like it'll require a lot of creative interpretation or expansion to pass at a mere 2:36.

Great strides you've made in your sounds since your Final Fight CD mix from way back when. Nice opening guitar riffs, though the supporting chords starting at :06 tend to just bleed together. Some really simplistic, repetitive and generic-sounding drums plopped in at :32. They sound rather weak and undermined the energy level; you need something more organic-sounding (and creative from a writing standpoint) to get a more cohesive result. Can't just plop in a basic pattern and consider it done.

Decent, somewhat intense guitar work from :44-:57, but not feeling too much from an interpretation level. Still, it's at least a sincere attempt at personalizing a conservative arrangement. Similar stuff as :32-:44 from :57-1:10, before simplifying it with some decent stuff from 1:10-1:18, then adding original material on top of that until 1:36. Back to the intense chorus (like :44) at 1:37 with some new original stuff added on top yet again. Good stereo manipulation at 2:01, indeed.

The escalation of the track in the second half with these new parts added in is rather simple. None of the sections are really interpreted or expanded significantly, even for a short time. Decent personalization of the theme which I'm liking, but you've gotta develop the arrangement further, especially manipulating/interpreting the main riff into something more rearranged and unique. Don't forget to work on that percussion also.

Hey, good to hear another track from you bro. Stick around more and see what the ReMixing and Works forums can do for you as you continue to improve your stuff.

NO

Well, looks like Larry and zircon have already covered it all, but I'll throw in my two cents for good measure.

You've laid down the foundation for what will surely be an awesome remix, if you keep at it. Nothing wrong with the recording, well mixed, no timing issues (which are all together too common for live instrument tracks), great sense of character... Really the only problem is that you're staying much too close to the source.

Although you've set the original material in some newer textures, I hear only two instances where you've actually expanded upon it: 1:23-1:36 and 1:49-2:01. That's just the tip of the iceberg! Even those examples only utilize one higher lead guitar part; perhaps you're restricting yourself to the number of instruments and/or performers you would actually have in a band? I see no reason not to throw in another guitar part or two, assuming you can maintain the sonic balance you've already established. Perhaps some sort of bass solo? More drum work? The percussion is rather straightforward, but that's not really an issue for me. Larry is right that it could really beef things up, however.

You've picked a theme that really lends itself to this kind of music, so I'll be disappointed if I don't hear back from you!

NO