Liontamer

Contact Info

Remixer Name: Wingsinadream

Email Address: Wingsinadream@gmail.com

OCR Forums UserID: 25440

Remix Info

Game Remixed: Zelda 64

Song Remixed: Gerudo Valley

Hello, this is my first submission on OCR and while I am not sure if it is up to your standards, I hope for the best. I wanted to blend a mix of piano and soft background melody with the song overall and I think I suceeded in doing what I set out to accomplish. The mix of alternative sounds and classic piano while maintaining a full-bodied yet minimalistic approach was difficult and was cause for many overhauls in the general sound of the piece.Yes, this is a Gerudo ReMix from Zelda 64, but it isn't orchestral, and that's something to be thankful for I suppose. This is the final product and I hope you enjoy it.

--

-Wingsinadream

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 68 "Gerudo Valley"

Piano introing things sounds way too fake and rigid in the performance. Tone on the melody's synth is also rather bleh, the drums are thin, not much in the way of dynamics, and the entire texture is sparse and empty. Where was the ending?

Some personalization is clearly there with the arrangement in terms of the writing under the melody, but how about interpreting that melodic content more? Barely any interpretation to speak of with the Gerudo theme itself. This probably sounded way more polished in your head. Needs a lot of work, to put it frankly.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

there are a lot of really basic mistakes made with regard to the samples. The piano notes arent held long enough, so they sound particularly choppy. I actually like the guitar (?) sample, although the attack is somewhat rough. but then around :40 when the second guitar part comes in, the two parts get mushed together.

The sequencing is sloppy, and in some sections it sounds like you didnt quantize.

another big problem is that the pads in the back have a reaaally long release, so they often overflow into the next chord, causing all kinds of dissonance.

If someone else wants to comment on arrangement feel free, but i think i've given plenty to work on.

NO

The production of this mix is definitely the killer. Right off the bat, there's a highly mechanical piano w/ delay that still sounds very sparse. The plucked synth (Sytrus preset?) is very muddy and overrides nearly everything else. There's very little attention paid to sound balance between the different parts, volume and frequency-wise. You gotta work on that so the different song elements sound distinct. Cut down on the reverb/delay usage across the board as it's more or less overwhelming. The drum samples are standard electronic fare and I'm not sure they really fit in with this genre. I would try an acoustic kit instead and work on sequencing more humanized drum patterns. If you're not sure where to start, the ReMixing forum is the place to go. Vig brought up some good points about the instrumental sequencing being unrealistic, so I won't repeat those.

Arrangement is relatively simplistic when it's actually dealing with the Gerudo theme. I'm hearing some weird notes throughout - some points include :10-11, :37-39, and 1:00-1:04. I would take another look at those sections. The introduction is really uninteresting because it's so simple; you can be more daring before entering in the main Gerudo theme. I do appreciate the stabs taken at creative interpretation with the theme and chord progression, so I think you're going in the right direction there, but what's holding you back is that you're not giving yourself enough tools to work with. At most you're only using four parts; drums, bass, piano, and lead, which doesn't give you a lot of room to be creative. Not only that but you don't even use all four all of the time. Adding additional instruments will give you more options, provided you are careful when EQing and mixing them.

Good effort for a first submission, so don't be discouraged. It takes practice to learn how to fine tune an arrangement and get a good hold on proper production values, but that's why we have two forums dedicated to helping people out with that. Make use of 'em and keep practicing.

NO

What is that synth that enters at 0:09? Sounds rather out of tune. I would have picked something a little more smooth for your lead instrument, especially considering how short the note values are. 'Sall twangy. Actually, it sounds almost as though you used a bunch of reverb to try to artificially prolong them, which creates a lot of unwanted dissonance. You're definitely headed down the right road with this arrangement, but it sounds pretty rough at the moment. I would focus on thickening the texture (not necessarily all with solo intruments, but distinct backing chords) and really planning out what you wanna do percussively. And don't skimp out on an ending! Keep it up, though.

NO