*NO* Tetris (GB) 'Acid Dreams Reborn'

Liontamer

Hi,

Here is a new submissal for you guys, ive tried very hard to equialize my tracks a bit better, i hope i landed it this time.

Ok now before you auto-reject this all vocals are outside of copyright and are within your submissal guidelines.

Remix Title: Tetris Acid Dreams Reborn

Original: Tetris Main Theme (Theme A i think)

Genré: Original Neon :) (Uber breakbeat D&B)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sure. Link:

Ok, definitely wasn't expecting vocals like this, especially given the genre classification as breakbeat/electro. And even after going back and listening again, I gotta say, I don't feel like they fit. Seems like they were just sort of put on top to fill up space, rather than having been recorded specifically for the remix. I really don't know what else to say. The performance is good, I guess, but you didn't write nor perform them, so...

The underlying arrangement is not impressive. It's too close to the original up until 3:07, where it starts to branch off a little. If you had done that kind of stuff earlier and throughout the whole mix this would have been a lot better off. Variation is definitely a good thing. Though, some of the harmonies didn't quite sound right with the slightly varied melody, so you might take another look there. The ending was also kind of lackluster. It sounded like you had some original material there (unlike most of the rest of the mix), so why would you just fade it out? I don't get it.

The production was a mixed bag. The drums were solid and there was a lot of variation there to keep them fresh. However, the synths, which seemed to be comprised mostly of Sytrus presets, were not mixed well. Being an FL and Sytrus user myself, I can tell you that the sounds are often hard to work into a mix and often require significant processing so they're not muddy. I don't think that was done here as many of the parts seemed to reside in the lower end and thus were not as clear as they should have been. Some of the parts should have been written an octave higher at least, others need more EQ, some needed both. There were several times in the mix when things seemed overly sparse, too, like 1:42 where it's just the vocal and one synth. You gotta have more.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/tetris.zip - Track 2

Had this mostly done by the time JJT posted, so I might as well post it.

I recognized some of the drum style from Ubik's Adventure Island mix, "Tribal Warfare". You did try to adapt the melody to the genre, moreso during the chorus (1:42-2:08) and during 2:14-3:05 where you adapted the source's bassline, but the source usage was that basically that one lead synth and the interpretation factor was low. You really shouldn't have a track that would sound fairly complete without the lead synth; it really did make the Tetris usage feel like an afterthought.

Go for something like 3:18 where you did some observable interpretation of the melody and also had some supporting synths also arrange the source while interplaying with the melody; you need to be more in that direction from the get-go. Wish the production was a bit more balanced; zirc covered all the major issues there.

NO