*NO* Super Mario 64 'Clouded Vision'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: WallyThePenguin (I'm a new ReMixer)

Email: WallyThePenguin@gmail.com

UserID on Forums: None

Remixed Game: Super Mario 64

Remixed Songs: Main Theme and Hazy Maze Cave

Link to Remix:

Own Comments: This is my first remix I've written. This wasn't made on a computer, I played this on my digital piano and recorded it via a line in port on my computer. The instruments are simply Grand Piano and Wood Bass in the same channel.

I've always liked the music on video games because of the creativity put into them. I started playing the Mario theme song and this mix was made. That's about all I have to say about the song itself.

I added as much of the ID3v2 tag that I could do with my computer. Let me know if anything is missing, I'll be sure to change it.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/sm64usf.rar - 02 "Title Theme" & 14 "Cave Dungeon"

Hate to glib you, but the performance could stand to be more fluid, and the composition itself needs something more in the left hand to actually fill the piece out. The arrangement is fairly interpretive, but the pacing & rhythms are really plodding and sap the energy right out of this one.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

i was taken aback by how the intro approached the song. it wasn't a pleasant feeling. the arrangement does not work well together and it isn't helped by the "wood bass" that just plods along the track.

you had a couple of good ideas when you wanted to introduce the mario theme. but it is ultimately lost in a surrounding lake of inaccessability. it's daring and i can give you that.

but i can't honestly say that this is ready for OCR. i dig your flowy desire to ramble musically and the simplicity of two instruments is an enticing notion but this is not developed, it doesn't particularly even sound nice on the ears and so it ultimately gets a NO.

doesn't go to say that it doesn't have merits. it does. you need to work on your production and presentation. half the battle in making good music is in the presentation. substance is lost if it is hiding beneath a pile of mediocore rubbish. so a poorly presented (mixed, produced, arranged) track housing a favorite idea/phrasing of yours will hide this little gem like a stack of hay can hide a needle.

don't do it.

criticisms about the left hand are pretty well-founded. "plodding" is a fair desecription.

From an arrangement perspective, this piece is way too repititious.

A lot of the musical ideas and colours you incorporate are reasonably creative, it's just how you choose to present them that makes this remix lackluster.

there's so much space and repetition (especially in the beginning) that it's hard to get people on board for the musical ride, so to speak.

add to that some very iffy choices in regards to music theory (2:34 for instance).

my advice would be to say a little more in less time. take the very best ideas, develop those, repeat them less, and in general, leave a lot less space. space is good sometimes, but not as a central motif, if you know what i mean.

keep at it.

NO