*NO* DuckTales 'Lunacy'

djpretzel

Some definite issues, but needs the feedback... a few tweaks here and there, I'm thinking?

-djp

Liam Charalambous

• Your ReMixer name: Magellanic
  • Your real name: Liam Charalambous
  • Your email address: 
  • Your userid: 45748
  • Name of game(s) arranged: DuckTales
  • Name of arrangement: Lunacy
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Moon
  • Composer: Hiroshige Tonomura

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhhLC1tf8

Remix: 

Hey Judges,

Been a while since I've been able to submit (or even play/produce any music).  Definitely gotten rusty but hopefully you'll enjoy this rendition of the moon.  Its a symphonic rock arrangement.  I've experimented endlessly with symphonic elements in my music but this is my first, full attempt at actually incorporating orchestral instruments in a production.  It isn't a typical orchestral arrangement.  A lot of the writing influence comes from concert style music (aka no strings), with emphasis on brass ( I am a trombonist so, I do love my brass).

I've a lot to learn and practise with the realism but as far as this remix goes, I'd say its complete.  It would be great to get your feedback regardless of whether it passes or not.

All the best to everyone at OCR,

Liam

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

The sequencing at the beginning has the right idea as far as a build into the main part of the track, but the levels are a bit off, with the flute being overly loud, and the sequencing in general being a bit stiff. I really like the arrangement, it's just the execution that needs refinement. The brass ideas specifically are great, and are the perfect notes to accent the track. 

The guitar playing is really nice as well, but is too loud if you are going to have the rest of the track (specifically the bass and drums) in the same space. If you bumped up the bass and drums in the mix, especially the kick, it'd gel more. The other alternative is to reduce the guitar volume and put it in the same space. 

The ideas and expansion here are really nice, and I love the orchestra writing you've added to this, but I think the theme could be expanded on even more. An interlude in the middle to bring the energy down before having it return would give you more opportunity to show off your arranging skill, and a solo for the guitar or even a nicely composed additional melody would also help things out. You don't need to add too much more, but with a near 45 second intro, it does feel like you end a bit early.

Overall this shows a lot of promise and needs a little bit of mixing love and some further expansion, but it's an amazing theme and a lot of good, original ideas added in. If you'd like more details on the mixing and some further critiques/suggestions, feel free to PM me on the forums and I can give this some additional attention. 

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Jesus H. Christ. Liam, no hate, but what are you listening back to your stuff on? That flute at :17 is ear-breaking. :-D OK, yeah, the levels on everything are jacked for the brightest elements, so you'll have to go back and re-balance the volume of things to reduce the overall volume and the clutter during the densest sections.

I disliked the snare tone, and didn't think it fit the track, but there are enough other good things going on with the rest of the arrangement that I can look the other way. Again, the levels are jacked, but just looking at the writing and the build, you hit some good grandiose writing before an excellent drop at 2:15 toward the finish.

I agreed with OA that you could have gotten more mileage out of the arrangement; in particular the ending was a letdown in rehashing the verse for a few seconds before a sudden held orch chord, and then it was just over. Needs to be something more there for a stronger build and finish, IMO. That said, wow, what a start. Awesome energy and a orchestral/rock concept that's already clicking fairly well, maybe 80% of the way there. Definitely don't drop this, get some more feedback, and knock this one out of the park so we can post it! :-)

NO (resubmit)

Gonna co-sign with the above.  Levels are way out of whack.  Tone down the flute quite a bit, and rebalance everything with a fresh-mixdown.  There are places where there is some odd audio squashing (probably due to overcompression) like 1:57. Sequencing was a mix of really nice (like the glissando work) and some choppy parts that could be smoothed out.

Concept is solid.  Really liking the guitar work.  Ending felt a bit weak without percussion or kit support.

Agreed as well that there is room for more arrangement expansion.  But yeah, approach is very cool with lots of energy.

Solid work so far, just needs tightening up.

NO resubmit, please