*NO* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Chizu Go Island'

Liontamer

Hello, I recently completed a recording that I would like to be considered to be put on the site. This is the first "ReMix" I've done, but I think it came out nicely. Here's all the info:

ReMixer Name: M2S7N

Email Address: mfzb.moneen@gmail.com

Name of game ReMixed: Super Mario Bros. 3

Name of individual song ReMixed: World Map 5 (The Sky)

Comments: As the first serious ReMix of a video game song I've done, I wanted to do something simple, and it doesn't get much more simpler than the I - IV progression used in this song. Simple songs can be very good songs though, as Koji Kondo has shown time and time again. I recorded all instruments myself, with the exception of the drums, which were programmed, so there's a human element to the song. I wanted to stay true to the original and not add much outside of the basis of the song which is the I - IV progression, but there are obvious instrumentation changes, new rhythms and small parts, a slower tempo, and more of a dub feel, which should be obvious when listening. Overall I think it deviates enough from the original to be considered for the site. Thanks

The song can be found here:

----------------------------------------------------

Ha! This sounds a lot like something weed could whip up in a few minutes. zykO liko! Y'all cousins?

Not too interpretive on the arrangement here to start, but all of it at least plays off of the melody and countermelody of the original. The synths and guitar don't quite gel together when they're both in play, IMO, but it's not bad.

Kind of hard to get something substantial out of a 2:19-long arrangement, and you did try to develop the piece a lot by adding more and more stuff as it went on (especially after 1:38), but there's a lot more potential for the arrangement than what's in place right now.

Would like to see the piece extended and further developed by adding some wholly original or extremely sections, since everything's based on that straightforward progression and tends to feel too samey after a while. I like the direction this one's headed in though.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, very tactful Larry - "hey, this is like zyko track! NO" ;)

I gotta agree with him, though, that it's gonna be tough to make a good arrangement in only 2:19, and primarily only with two chords. You can feel free to revoice or rewrite the progression as necessary, if you think it'll add to your interpretation, and the same goes for the melody and harmony parts. I'm liking what you did as the song went on, adding multiple instrumental layers, but without that foundation changing it sounds overly repetitive. Also, while I could see a fadeout working in an arrangement like this one, you'd have to expand it for it to really work. Otherwise it seems like you've just run out of ideas, and I don't think you have in this case. I don't have a lot to add in terms of production... the drumkit sounds a little too MIDI-ish, so maybe you could beef that up with some better free samples/soundfonts, but otherwise, Larry covered the bases.

I'd like to see a revised version of this. Keep it up!

NO

Haha! Really digging this so far. Thoughts:

Reggae is one of those deceptive genres where, once you fall into that laid back groove, it seems like nothing more needs to be done. While I'd be perfectly comfortable listening to this track for twenty minutes straight sipping a mai tai on the hammock of my summer home in the Virgin Islands (ya rly), we can't lose sight of what this website's all about. ^_~

"I wanted to stay true to the original and not add much outside of the basis of the song which is the I - IV progression, but there are obvious instrumentation changes, new rhythms and small parts, a slower tempo, and more of a dub feel, which should be obvious when listening."

Yes, they are! You DO demonstrate quite a bit of interpretation for the two plus minutes you've fleshed out so far, so props for that. I have no problem with the repetition thus far; it's built up nicely. The problem is simply that the song ends before it really starts. Towards the end of what you've given us is right where a change up would be appropriate.

So, where to go from here? Well, I'd start with finally segueing into a new section with a different chord progression. It might help if you looked on this arrangement with a pop song approach; think about adapting some sort of "bridge" and "chorus" of original material to break up the "verse" you have going on already. Then maybe at the return, you could work in some instrument solos. (Steel drum would work extremely well, if you can get your hands on a decent sample!)

Those are just some ideas to get you started, of course. What you do is completely up to you!

As for the production side of things... I'm with Larry that the grungy guitar that first enters at 1:09 doesn't quite mesh with the rest of your soundscape, but the synths are coo with me. Drums are bordering on fakey, so if you could switch that up, that would only help your chances. My biggest gripe is the new guitar that enters in the right ear at 1:37. It sounds twangy and out of tune! Good interpretation with that line, but I'd like to hear you either tune it up or replace it with another sound entirely.

Anyway, you're on to something, so don't stop now!

NO