OCR03525 - *YES* Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES "True Calling (Unplugged)"

Emunator

THIS IS A PROJECT MIX! For the FF6 Kickstarter project.

Remixer names: Diodes, J.Psycle
Real names: Amy Hsieh, Jeremy Feder
Email addresses:  (this may be changing soon),
Website: amyhsieh.com (this may be changing soon), districtsound.com
UserID: 21446

Game: Persona 3 FES
Name of Arrangement: True Calling (Unplugged)
Song Arranged: Heartful Cry
Composer: Shoji Meguro

Comments:

The story behind how this came about is complicated, but I'm just going to call this version 2.0. Version 1.0 was an electronic dance version that I had started working on with Jeremy. It was during that collaboration that I had the idea for this remix, in a totally different chill acoustic style, but with some common elements, like the lyrics and the violin. So we ended up with two different versions, and maybe you will hear version 1.0, too.

Breakdown: I wrote the lyrics and performed all the instruments, and Jeremy did all the production, mixing and mastering, and helped out with recording engineering and equipment as well. These 2 remixes were our first experience collaborating on music, and we learned a lot from the process.

I want to thank Deia and OA for inviting me to be a part of the FF6 Kickstarter project, as that was what introduced me to the source. The first time I heard Heartful Cry, I liked it immediately, and was inspired with a lot of potential ideas for remixes. Evidently so, as I couldn't stop at just making one.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this source and Amy has not only created an expansive and unique version of it, but a source-companion that really works as a stand-alone track. The mixing is solid, there are a lot of carefully arranged details that add more interest (that filtered intro is incredibly attention-grabbing), and her vocal performance is emotional, nuanced, and powerful. The arrangement is a huge step away from the original song, but it feels so natural. 

The new melodies fit in seamlessly with the original song, the lyrics are great, and the guitar and violin add a lot to the soundscape. The vocal harmonies are perfectly mixed, and the pacing is just right. 

This is an excellent song and a high mark for vocal mixes on the site. I am super impressed.

Yes

• OceansAndrew changed the title to 2015/04/23 - (1Y) Persona 3 FES 'True Calling (Unplugged)
  • 2 weeks later...
Unlike OA, I actually wasn’t totally feeling the intro, the gradual EQ filter felt slightly awkward and I feel like some sort of ambiance or effects to fill out that space just a bit more would have been nice. However, once the guitar kicks in, things flesh out nicely. The rich, warm guitar tone supports your voice well, and the layers of backing vocals add an additional level of depth to the soundscape. Love the violin accents, too. While the core of this arrangement is very much focused on the lead vocals and rhythm guitar, the extra details take this a step beyond your typical acoustic performance. 

Overall, very adeptly produced and performed across the board, not bad at all for your first collab! 

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this is really lovely, and the vocals are very well performed, Amy has a beautiful voice.  The guitar work is also stellar.  I wish the guitar had been double tracked and panned to the sides though, because the guitar competes with the vocals in the middle of the soundscape.  The whole mix could be wider, with just the main vocal in the middle.  Make this a note for the next time.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/04/23 - (3Y) Persona 3 FES 'True Calling (Unplugged)
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to PROJECT - (2015/04/23) *YES - TAG* Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES 'True Calling (Unplugged)'
  • DragonAvenger locked this topic