*NO* FTL 'Fate of My Crew'

Emunator

ReMixer Name: Garpocalypse
Email
Userid :22026

Remix: FTL-Fate of My Crew
Source: FTL-Milky Way Battle

Hotmail is not letting me attach the file due to some file restriction (it's only 7MB!) So i'll host it on soundcloud and enable downloading.  

This is my remix that was written for the Artist Appreciation Competition that was run by Shadow24 back in January.  In what was a very heated round this remix came in a close third of round 1 of the Bravo Bracket due to a tie between first and second place. 

Source: 

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say FTL is one of my favorite soundtracks in recent history.  Now, I think you have some good ideas here Ryan, but the execution is not ideal.  I'm not sure the guitars are working well here, they sound very artificial specially on the long sustained chords.  They are also not mixed very well, sounding very muddy and lacking sharpness, and along with the bass they eat the kick in the busy sections until there's only snare to be heard.  The sound design in general isn't too complex but it's good enough in my opinion.

This is a nice arrangement, although it could've used some work in the transitions.  Some of them are abrupt and don't really fit (02:15, 03:41), or don't have the proper lead-ins or energy buildup.  I think the source was expanded upon well throughout the song.

I thought the calm sections worked much better in this mix and presented a better executed soundscape than the busy guitar sections (03:00-03:41).  I think this could improve with some work on the issues mentioned above.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/07/29 - (1N) FTL 'Fate of My Crew'
  • 3 weeks later...

Gonna agree with a lot of what Mike is saying here. I definitely feel like the slower sections feel more cohesive than the faster sections. The that being said, I will also agree that the soundscape overall needs some work. The guitar sounds aren't really cutting it as is, and the percussion feels thin, especially in the faster sections where they need some more power. Some more personalization and variation on the drum rhythms will help as well.

In terms of arrangement there's definitely some expansion and personalization, but I feel like the track gets repetitive and uses the same motif a lot. I think taking out a little of the fluff would help. The bell synth at 1:55 has a really slow attack and sounds out of time as a result.

The section at 3:00 on really sounds a lot more personal to me and worked a lot better. The soundscape has the backing chorus and the guitar sounds more emotional. Easily the best part of the track to me.

I think this needs work, but you have some good arrangement ideas to work with and a lot of the ground work set up. Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

Okay, first of all, I really really like this! The arrangement is brilliant, I love the story you're telling through this track. The overall structure makes a lot of sense, with the nice contrasts between the calmer and the more intense parts. I personally think the sound design is great overall, I really like the mixing of the electronic elements with the guitars. There's a lot to love in here, the energy of the faster sections is very satisfying. Even got a little shiver from one of those. :)

I have to agree that the production could use work, though. The deal breaker, in my opinion, is the way the drums are being handled. They definitely lack the presence needed to complement the high-energy sections. These same sections also have a lot going on, and there's a bit of fighting for space which could also be improved. Some transitions are abrupt, and smoothing them out would also help. I'd have also liked a bit more focus on the melodies, which would make the arrangement even better and would probably eliminate the repetitiveness issue mentioned by Deia.

Please rework that production, I love this!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* FTL 'Fate of My Crew'
  • DaMonz locked this topic