DaMonz

ReMixer name: DaMonz
email address: 

Name of the games arranged: Super Mario RPG
Name of the arrangement: Floor Is Lava
Name of the individual songs arranged: Barrel Volcano
Links to originals: https://youtu.be/LgSwxY5cW_o

*Shameless double self-post*

This is my second contribution to the SMRPG album! I tried something more organic than usual. I spent lots of time humanizing the vibes, wurly and drums. And of course, I had to throw in some chips, I couldn't help it :) I hope you'll enjoy!

P.S.: Huge thanks to Emu for providing awesome feedback as I made this!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool ambience, this remix starts pretty straightforwards, iterating slightly on the original, but it slowly evolves into a splendid syncopated and dissonant piece full of little intricacies and tons of detailing.  It's a great song to drift away by.

I wasn't too keen on the upbeat drumming by the end but I see why the inclusion, to drag the listener down to a more leveled territory from the elaborate and twisted mid section.  On the production I thought everything was balanced and although the track gets a bit reverb-y at times I think it fits the mood.

I have a soft spot for crazy inventive arrangements and this just poked it.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/03/19 - (1Y) Super Mario RPG 'Floor Is Lava' *PROJECT*
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't feel a lava vibe from this (though it's not like the source tune is that way either), so I'm interested in what prompted the title.

This source first got put on my radar by Sine's excellent ReMix, "Seeking Heat," so I'm glad to hear it again with a fresh spin from Emery. I was enjoying this from the start, but when things picked up at 1:06, I fell in love with the sound palette here; really nice stuff. The EP used for the comping from 1:18-1:43 reminded me of ella guro's work.

When the main beats dropped out at 1:43-2:07, I initially lost my place in terms of the timing of the piece, but once I heard it the third time, I was fine; that said, I could see some people complaining about being bucked off the horse, so to speak. :-D Small thing, but the string accents from 2:33 were my favorite part of the textures getting denser again. Weird note at 2:51 that I didn't think worked, but it's quick and does resolve alright, so no big deal.

3:20 until the finish got even more expansive with original writing on top of the source tune, which is basically the additive approach Sine took for part of his mix, and one that makes a lot of sense. Everything works nicely here, Emery; great mixing that never sounds too dense or muddy, with part-writing that I can really appreciate. Nice sound upgrade to the source along with strong integration of original comping.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/19 - (2Y) Super Mario RPG 'Floor Is Lava' *PROJECT*

Smooth as shit. You really have a refined sound that just gives this arrangement class. Very nice arrangement.

The accompaniment really is interesting and complex. It takes a few listens to really gather all the cool little bits that are continuously playing throughout. Most of the instruments are great, but the drums really stand out as amazing throughout.

The arrangement, while great, does seem to last a little longer than it seems it should. It has to do with the fact that it really keeps the same pacing, rhythm and feel throughout the track. The track is broken up into distinct sections, but each one bleeds into the next in the style and pacing, so if you listen to it for a while it all starts to sound the same.

It's not a big deal, though - it's certainly an easy pass otherwise, and that's not nearly enough to take it below the bar. Great work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to PROJECT - (2016/03/19) *YES - TAG* Super Mario RPG 'Floor Is Lava'
  • Liontamer locked this topic