*NO* Metroid, Double Dragon, Mario, Zelda & Tetris 'The Legend of Nintendo'

Chimpazilla

Contact information

ReMixer name - Bubuliboo
Real name - David Paterson
Email - 
Website - davidpaterson.net

Submission Information

Name of arrangement: The Legend of Nintendo (for String Quartet)

Name of games arranged:

Metroid - title theme
Double Dragon - title theme
Dr. Mario  - fever theme
Legend of Zelda - title theme
Tetris - Korobeiniki
Mario Kart Double Dash - Baby Park
Super Mario Bros. 1 - overworld and underground theme
Super Mario Bros. 2 - overworld theme
Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden

YouTube link: 

My comments:

This is a tribute to the Nintendo composers that provided the soundtrack to my childhood. Given how many "tributes" of this kind there are in the world, I decided it was time to do a decent and musically accurate one!

Should you require any more information, please let me know.

Sincerely yours,
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/04/12 - (1N) 'Legend of Nintendo'

I definitely hope this video gains more attention for Ensemble Urbane, this was a fun listen and well made! The Zelda portion has the best application of weaving themes together by adding in the Dungeon theme at 3:58 and using the arranged main theme alongside it.

There was a lot more substance put into the Zelda to Tetris transition with some original writing, and if the whole arrangement had flowed like that, with less of the abrupt theme changes for a composition that sounded like one song rather than a mega-medley, we'd definitely post this.

Submission Standards and Instructions said:

3. Acceptable Source Material

2. Submissions incorporating more than one source are allowed, but are not given special consideration or leniency with regard to the submission standards.

• Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

It's not to sell the effort short, because there's beautiful performance dynamics in play here from the live performance and adaptation to quartet. However, arrangement-wise, much of the structure was play Theme A a bit, then go to Theme B a bit, then Theme C a bit, etc. I love the piece, it unfortunately just falls outside of our wheelhouse with medleys needing to flow like one fully developed composition rather than having brief pieces of multiple themes assembled together. I wish the recording's had some more clarity, but the room ambiance works without a doubt, and the performances and video are impeccable.

We aren't inherently against medleys, and have a lot of them posted, but the glue and flow between the themes is usually a lot smoother that simply stopping one theme and going to the next, which is ingrained into our guidelines. It definitely doesn't mean anything's wrong with this great performance, it's just doesn't line up with those specific guidelines enough. If you guys had any other performances where the composition was less of a "A, then B, then C" burst of theme with more substantial transitions and flow or just an arrangement with fewer themes that allowed more extended arrangements of those themes, y'all would be a shoo-in. 

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/04/12 - (2N) Metroid, Double Dragon, Mario, Zelda & Tetris 'Legend of Nintendo'

First of all, this is definitely super awesome! I loved listening to this, it's beautiful. I also agree with Larry that the Zelda portion, with the dungeon track being incorporated seamlessly, and the smooth transition to Tetris, were a good example of what could make a medley acceptable to the site's Submission Standards. Although, all the other transitions are not appropriate for the OCR Submission Standards (as quoted by Larry), since they're very distinct and feel like a sequence of separate song segments.

Not much more needs to be said, sadly. Although, like we all said, this is excellent, and I sincerely hope the video will get the attention it definitely deserves!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Metroid, Double Dragon, Mario, Zelda & Tetris 'The Legend of Nintendo'
  • DaMonz locked this topic