OCR01827 - *YES* Tales of Phantasia 'Summoned Without Reason'

Liontamer

Contact info

Sixto Sounds

Juan Medrano

forgotten_imp@yahoo.com

Remix Info

Tales of Phantasia (Summoning of Spirits Project)

Summoned Without Reason (The 2nd Act)

This remix was started several months ago, if not a year ago, for the Summoning of Spirits Project. I wanted to try something that wasn't another guitar instrumental and this is what I came up with. Still, you know me. I had to fit some guitar solos in there somewhere. This is also my first attempt at a violin solo, so sorry if it sounds a little weird.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=top - "The Second Act" (top-138.spc)

Opens up with a high-energy cover of the original with some good expansive writing ideas especially during the chorus. Certainly made sense given Juan's traditional approach, though I was definitely looking forward to something more interpretive coming up. Nice subtle variation of the chorus when it came up the second time at 1:17, and then the same for the verse of the source at 1:30 to already address those concerns. Good variation of the drum patterns throughout the song to keep the energy level high and the overall feel fresh.

Some really nice guitar stuff from 1:44-1:17 as a lead in to the total solo wank over the basic source progression from 1:58-2:39. At 2:25, the wank arguably became a bit much, if only because it sounded like it was over and then suddenly continued EVEN LONGER.

Excellent violin writing from 2:39-2:52 with a beautiful crossfade segue into the synth lead. The guitar writing from 3:05-3:32 was also really...mature (as I struggle to grasp for a more descriptive word).

Sixto finally retread the beginning of the track at 3:32. Good to hear a track where a section is repeated more for the sense of coming full circle and not merely because the artist didn't bother developing the arrangement in the first place.

My only big gripe with the writing was that the ending at 4:13 came about way too quickly. I don't think I'll be the only person that felt it came abruptly out of left field. Something more gradual would have clicked more and signaled to the listener that the end was near.

In any case, pretty badass. Honestly, this is the first mix I've heard from someone on this side of the scene that sounds a lot like J-rock. If you told me some doujin arranger made it, I'd believe you. When I read the part about the violin solo, I threw it on the panel just for some feedback on that level. But make no mistake, this is a thorough piece of work, well-arranged and well-executed per Juan's usual. Another strong contribution to KyleJCrb's "Summoning of Spirits."

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I love Sixto. This is really very quality stuff in all areas; ESPECIALLY the production which is top-notch as far as I'm concerned. I've got no problems with the solo section either. I think the length was appropriate given the length of the piece, and given the quality of Juan's playing, it's really a pleasure to listen to. The violin, though, that's what makes this mix unique. You just don't hear da solo violin action very often. Perhaps my only complaint is that damn "Stereo Bells" preset from FM7 that you use all the time. ;)

Anyway, pretty obvious this is a;

YES

ps. I'm tempted to say this *vaguely* reminds me of "The Final Countdown"... but that would be doing a disservice to this mix.