Original Decision

Remixer Name: Faseeh
Email address: 
User ID: 30380

Game arranged: Sonic Colors (Wii)
Name of arrangement: Misty Night
Name of individual song: Planet Wisp - Act 1

Comments about the remix:

Oh, this is a resubmission! The judges liked what I had before, but it was too short aaaand I found out four months after the judges decision had been made. Alas, this remix happened.

Imagine the Planet Wisp is a beautiful place, and just imagine being there with dew on the leaves, mist surrounding you, sky all purple and you're lost in the serene beauty. I wanted to do something minimalist and something that'd keep true to the original source, while giving a different musical dimension. Oh and I've added some references from other Sonic sources, I hope you can figure those out! Hope you like this remix, as much as I enjoyed producing it. Thank you :)
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Haven't heard the original submission, but I am enjoying the soundscape you've got going on here.everything definitely feels super chill. The arrangement has a few issues if like to bring up. The main motif is used a lot, which is a great part to return to since is a good chorus and is pretty recognizable. The other sections of the source feel pretty marginalized in comparison, and more importantly the parts in between the chorus feel like filler that doesn't have a lead to guide it. As a result the mix feels stagnant and noodley. I'd love for you to really work another lead melody in there to drive the track along.

I am heading some balance issues between various parts. ~1:00 is the first time where the backing harp synth is really quiet compared to the guitar. Would really like you to go through this with a fine tooth comb and really listen to the parts to make sure everything is clear. The bells are also somewhat piercing and could be ruined down based on how well they cut through. There's also a lot of high hat usage through the track, and it starts to get a little tiring.

I've got a lot of small crits here, bit they do add up, and I think the track needs some more work. I'm most interested in getting you revise the more aimless sections of the arrangement to give the track more direction overall, but I do think the balance issue needs to be stressed as well. Good luck! 

NO (resubmit)

Sweet arrangement, I dig this.  I wasn't part of the previous evaluation of this song, but it seems the main issue was that it was too short.  I think you managed to lengthen the track naturally if that was the case, however, and I'm sorry if this feels we're pulling you in different directions, but I feel the track is about a minute too long.   The motifs are repeated a lot, and the backing harmony is very persistent throughout the track.  I also feel the track spends too long on sections without a driving beat, Around 3 minutes of the song feel more like a buildup than a main section.  I think cutting on those meandering sections and focusing more on the main sections where the kick is driving the song will improve the arrangement.

My biggest issue here though, is with the frequency balance and performance of a couple instruments.  The bell sound (i.e. 5:07) is really piercing.  I think you need to check your mid-high frequencies on it around 2k hz, as the resonances are very piercing right now.  The harp could also use some better balancing frequency-wise, also needs to be reigned under control as it's changing amplitude too wildly between notes.

On the positive side I loved the feel of the track, very dreamy but also fun.  You managed to introduce a lot of new elements to the arrangement and add your own spin to things, and there's quite a bit of interpretation in there.

This is really close and I would like to hear this with the production issues fixed and with a more focused structure, this is close to a pass for me but I can't overlook these issues.

NO (please resubmit!)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/06/22 - (2N) Sonic Colors 'Misty Night' *RESUB*

*revisits previous vote*   Ah yes, I remember, it was too short.  I agree with Mike that now it's too long!  The arrangement definitely works now, that's the good news.  But the sections are repetitive, with the same writing and instruments.  I agree with Deia that the main motif is overused, and the writing in between iterations of the motif is random and noodley, and also very quantized and simple.  The hats get repetitive since it's the same toploop again and again, with no other drumming most of the time.  When the kick comes in, I don't hear any sidechaining, and the kick is timid.  By contrast, when the snare comes in briefly at 3:12, it is much too strong compared to the kick.  The bell timbre is too sharp compared to everything else.

A lot of your lead writing is very mechanical and depends on a lot of simple, quantized quarter notes.  The gated strings are nice but they feel very weak and dry, you might try layering those with another pad without gating but with some filter movement, and some reverb.  Without any effects it just sounds like a very plain pad with FL's Gross Beat thrown on there on a simple preset.  The pad would come alive with some layering, some reverb, and some filter movement.

I really think you could keep the arrangement just like it is now, but you will need to put in some work to get your sounds rich and full and varied, and spiff up the writing too, maybe throw in some kind of solo, or have a friend who does solos do one for you.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/06/22 - (3N) Sonic Colors 'Misty Night' *RESUB*