Liontamer

avaris

Shaun Wallace

avaris.studios@gmail.com or swallace21@hotmail.com

http://avaris.studios.googlepages.com/home

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom

song remixed: Lufia

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/luf1lufia.mid

I was playing this old classic game and I decided just to make a cover of Lufia's theme just for fun. Mmmmm bubbalicious…One thing lead to another and I ended up remixing it also. The hardest thing about this whole mix was rearranging the melody. It seemed like every time I tried to add or take away anything from the melody it just sounded off. Well after hours of working with that melody you got the arrangement you see before you. Hope you dudes enjoy this softy track, not my normal style, as a lil break from all the house and techno.

As usual I gotta give a shout out to all my cronies down in the WIP forums with this one especially Prometheus. To any noobs who might stumble across this message you need to go and post your mix in the WIP forums if even have a doubt it won't get accepted.

BTW…there are parts that have a small amount of clipping on my blown out speakers, previous versions were worse but after redoing some of the mastering no one else in the WIP noticed anything so I am submitting this version. If you guys notice any please let me know right away with a PM and I can throw on some more mastering techniques to try and get rid of anymore clipping whatsoever, and have the new version to you in a day or two. Thanks!

EDIT (UPDATED VERSION):

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ed - "Pulifia Flowers" (ed-09.spc)

Nice piano intro. Not quite authentic, but had some effects to give it some depth. Percussion joining in at :35 doesn't fit at all. Sounds REALLY clean and nowhere in the same space as the piano; the drum tone doesn't fit, the patterns are on metronome-level cruise control (boooooooooo), plus the kit sounds pasted in and buried underneath the piano and woodwinds anyway.

I see you said that changing the melody wasn't working when you tried to do it, but the near-verbatim woodwind stuff isn't interpretive or at least meaningfully personalized by altering the tempo, rhythms, etc. The piano embellishments are a nice touch. In the original version of this mix, the strings were barely audible and as a result essentially contributed nothing until 1:59, so the sample and balance change here helped you out a lot more. Still, this ultimately needs work on sound balance and textures. Scrap this particular drum pattern for something more creative & fitting to get it sounding like it's occupying the same room, and get the woodwinds sounding less rigid.

Better stuff until 2:16, when those lame beats wandered back in. The arrangement was at least getting bolder and more expressive, though it was too late in the game. Not a bad foundation, Shaun, but it needs a lot of work. Hopefully the other Js can give some other good crits, as well as some advice. Keep working toward improvement.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Percussion is too quiet and pointless in a piece like this. The piano sounds really fake and the whole thing is flat dynamically.

This sounds really conservative; you need to bring a lot more rhythmic and harmonic variation to the mix. No bassline really kills the mix too, especially since you've attempted to add a rhythm section with the drums. Finish what you started.

NO

Piano intro could have used more left-hand action before the wind instrument joined it. The drums sound very rigid indeed, almost like they are a metronome themselves, and it sounds very strange compared to the other instruments - definitely doesn't fit in.

I like the effect that the instruments give (minus the drums) as they blend together well. However, a lack of bassline does mean that it sounds somewhat empty. I'm in agreement with DS here. A different drumkit and the addition of a bassline would really help things out here. At the moment, this level of production is nowhere near the bar.

NO