*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Ice Cold'

Liontamer

Name: Ice Cold

Remixed From: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone

Remixer Name: C-DUBS

This is my third submission. I know i'm not as good a remixer like the others who can make it, but here it is. At least listen to this one (and give me a review for once). There has been a lot of remixes from Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone, but why not one more? Not much to say really except I hope I pass! See ya 'till next submission.

• 2 weeks later...

There really should be a special notice about this, I've said this so many times. Icecap zone is a very popular tune, and we have very good mixes of it on this site. Any remixes of this tune submitted to OC would have to be very exceptional indeed to pass.

The piano that joins the synth sound in the intro is somewhat dry compared to the rest of the instruments. Perhaps some reverb/delay to make it blend in would have created a more cohesive sound. The drums are quite weak and unremarkable given the rest of the sounds - almost cheap GM soundset like. The transpose at 1.58 was a little premature, due to the fact that the tune hadn't really changed much previous to that point. Quite repetitive overall, with another transpose towards the end of the song - the transposes don't hide the fact that the arrangement needs a lot more originality in it to make it more interesting.

NO

I can definitely appreciate what you're going for here. The bell-like arpeggiation is a neat concept, and we all know I like purdy stuff like that, but the arrangement itself is too straight-forward. You've got the same chord progression going on for basically the entire duration of the piece, and the actual source tune melody doesn't come in until 1:28. (You did have some form of variation on that melody beforehand, but it appeared as a rather simple, repeated piano riff.)

The drums are definitely a weak point here, and they're mixed too soft! Perhaps you were trying to hide them for lack of a better sample? ^_~ Both key changes are abrupt and rather jarring. You've gotta have a reason to modulate if you really wanna pull it off, and more transition is needed.

I hear a lot of minor changes in the arrangement and texture, but that's not gonna be enough since you're sticking to the same structure throughout. I'd also recommend being a little more sensitive to dynamics in this piece; considering a lot of what you're doing is additive material, the sounds can become loud and overwhelming. You're not off to a bad start, however.

NO

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "IceCap Zone 1"

Decent intro though that string pad was too muddy. Other sounds were pretty decent, except for those lame drums at :43. The pattern was repetitive yet decent, but the drum tone had no power.

The overall texture wasn't very full of complex despite the number of elements in play. Piano was pretty sparse and mechanically sequenced. Song got brighter at 1:57 but the arrangement was basically the same only with some added countermelodic writing. Drums kept dragging on.

Decent idea to change the dynamics, but the string pad, piano and drums all sounded way too inhuman. Nothing new going on with the changeup at 3:10. Decent base, but repetitive and underdeveloped arrangement as well as average with the production.

NO

Even though this is already at 3N, I just wanted to add a couple of other things. I thought the variation and original interpretation factor here was really good. I'm impressed, and I really think you've got a good handle on making melodic and harmonic variations. The weak area here, production issues aside, is the lack of variation in the chord progression. In and of itself, it's slightly different from the original, but it's repeated verbatim throughout the entire ReMix. You should be a little more daring there. Change it up at least a few times! Do that and listen to some of the advice left by my compatriots and I think you'll be quite a bit closer to the bar.

NO