*NO* Animal Crossing 'Love Long Lost'

Chimpazilla

Larrynachos

Logan Wing
User ID: 33286

Game: Animal Crossing
Game Song: "K.K. Love Song"
Remix Title: "Love Long Lost"
Additional Comments: The empty sound at the beginning and end was intentional, so don't feel as if you need to cut those parts out.

This is very sweet, and I definitely like the live version of the track better than the source.  The mix has too much reverb or at least needs a high pass on the reverb.  I like each iteration of the melody that you've got here, including the one that has been "trucker's gear shifted" up.  Ultimately though, it's just the same melody over and over with zero interpretation and nothing original added and no transitions between them, so I don't feel like this is a complete arrangement.  I'd sure love to hear this back though, as a more cohesive arrangement with your own spin added to it.  It's a lovely start.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/01/25 - (1N) Animal Crossing 'Love Long Lost'
  • 4 weeks later...

Def with Kris here, your reverb is very boomy and clouds your mix. When the electric guitar hits at 0:53 things sound crowded, largely due to the reverb, but also because the acoustic and electric are almost sitting on top of each other occupying the same space. Revisiting your mixing here (opposing EQ dips on your parts, panning etc) will help separate these instruments from each other.

As far as your arrangement goes, not a lot happens - it's mainly the same source melody over and over with no real changes or other interpretation, like an extended intro to something. I noticed there are some parts from the original source missing in your mix, perhaps as a building point you could somehow incorporate an original interpretation of these and drop them in during different sections, while adding some variation to the melody over time.

There is a base here for this concept to work, but more needs to be done on your arrangement, and your mixing needs to be improved (in particular your amount of reverb) for this to pass.

NO

I really like the guitar representations of those arpeggios, but the track doesn't seem to do much except repeat those arpeggios. There's more of the track that you could explore, and there's a lot of room for expansion on this track (Sing above the guitar? Use a solo instrument to play the melody, and introduce variations and solos?) What you have seems to present a very solid backing to a good arrangement, but on its own it's lacking variety, and it sticks too close to the source.

As far as the production goes, I actually like the tone on the guitars. At first I thought the beginning guitar didn't have enough highs to fill the space, but with that second guitar later it makes sense why - that one has too much in the higher EQ range. The reverse reverb that you have layered on the guitar part is pretty distracting, too, and it takes up a lot of the soundspace that you have. You could certainly use something like a high-pass on it, as well as balancing the high EQ range for the guitar that has that reverb applied to it. The strings at the end are a nice touch, but with all of the effects on them they sound a bit out of place, especially since they don't occur anywhere else in the track.

The beginning has a good deal of silence, too - on a final cut (like this was intended to be) you should cut out the first ~9 seconds of silence.

It's a good start, but it doesn't feel like a complete piece, quite yet. Fix the reverb & high EQ balance, expand the arrangement so that it doesn't rely on the repetitive form that you gave it and cut the silence from the beginning. It's a really soothing track, and I actually could listen to it forever, so I'd like to see this resubmitted with the changes mentioned here.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Animal Crossing 'Love Long Lost'
  • Liontamer locked this topic