*NO* Breath of Fire 4 'Thousand Winds'

djpretzel

Would need a different title. - djp

---

Dear friends, first of all let me introduce myself.
My name is Galih Lintang Satuhu, i`m from Surabaya, Indonesia

This is my first time try to submit a remix soundtrack from video game. Hope it won`t disappoint you guys.

This is a remix from video game OST Breath of FIre IV "Thousand WInds", or "Thousand WIngs" in another title, which originally composed by Yoshino Aoki.

This remis is originally made by myself, (Galih), using FL Studio to create it. This song has set in 192kbps and 16-bit.
If there`s some decay in my sutff, hope you won`t be disappointed cause this is my first time. Thanks for your time

Sincerely

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Great choice in soundtrack - not nearly enough BoFIV tracks on here, for sure. The source is very chill (save for those bells), and you chill out with this arrangement. I really like the direction taken - e-piano with piano leads, those pads and synths in the middle and a nice bookend to close it off.

The harmonic choice was a solid one, as it fits the theme better than the source, IMO. It is a shame that you stick with it throughout the entire arrangement, though, as it wears on the listener over time. Considering you utilize original chords, it'd be very easy to switch to the source chords from time to time in order to change it up. However you want to approach it, you need to change up the chords from time to time.

The synth work was very nice (though the lead could be mixed a little louder in the middle section). The e-piano and piano, though, are dry and a little inhuman. I hear the velocity adjustments in the piano, which helps, but you need to consider how the pianist would use sustain in that situation. Having the notes that dry without a stylistic reason sounds unnatural. The e-piano doesn't have the same attention to the dynamics as the piano has, which would help them a lot, and giving them some reverb would help them fill the space in a more believeable manner.

The bass drum is a little bit weak. In this style it's not a dealbreaker, but it could stand out some more than it does, as it is nearly drown in the background. The drums overall have a sort of "drum machine" feel to them, due to the static dynamics of the hats and snare/clap. Utilize the velocity more for the hats, use a variety of samples for the hats, etc. These things will liven the drums up, making them sound more real.

It's a bit of a shame that only a small portion of the source was arranged, but that's a personal gripe. The arrangement has a decent structure and acceptable production values, but the static chord usage, drum and keyboard humanization issues took this one below the bar for me. Hopefully some of my suggestions help you fix those issues up, and we can have another BoFIV track on OCR.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/11 - (1N) Breath of Fire 4 'Thousand Winds'

Not sure why this has such a muffled sound. Also, as soon as this opening beat started, you could tell the sequencing was very rigid and mechanical-sounding, all the more obvious when the piano also came in at :21. The piano sounded bone-dry and had no resonance at all. Even if it's just going for a less-organic keyboard sound, there's just no trail-off with the notes, and the rigid timing doesn't sound good.

The claps brought in at 1:10 were too loud and too dry and made no sense being so much louder than the other instrumentation. I like that there's some attention to the bassline having presence, but these were very plodding beats overall, and very thin textures.

2:18 was a cut-and-paste repeat of :21's section, and then there's essentially no real ending, the track just hits the end of the bar and stops. The arrangement would need to be developed more with further variations, much more balance and richness with the instrumentation, and some sort of genuine resolution for the ending.

Not bad for a beginning effort, Galih, but very far from something we would pass. Make use of the Workshop forums here to get additional critiques and feedback on your VGM arrangement, as well as solicit production advice to improve how you're using your current samples.

NO

The lows and especially the mid-lows are too loud.  100-250ish Hz is too loud, giving mud to the soundscape.  The idea of this mix is fantastic!  But it's not there yet.  The piano sounds so quiet, thin and plain compared to everything else.  I agree with Gario that the backing chords, while nice, should change at some point because they get repetitive.  The drums do also need some work, the kick is muffled an indistinct, and the clap sounds so generic.  The arrangement overall is too repetitive.  I really like the synth pad that enters at 0:54 and the entire section that follows it, that's a good step toward making the soundscape and arrangement more interesting.  Adding an original-writing (or use another portion of the source track) breakdown at 2:02 would be a great way to break up the arrangement even more.  At 2:18 it's just a rehash of the first section, which is a missed opportunity to change up the writing and/or soundscape again and surprise your listener with something new.  Also, a proper ending would be preferable to the drop-off that you currently have here.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/03/11 - (3N) Breath of Fire 4 'Thousand Winds'