*NO* Ikaruga 'Funk Cannon'

Liontamer

*metaphist* aka Paul Ford

pford85@gmail.com

myspace.com/razorbladekite

Ikaruga remix: "*Funk Cannon*"

From the Ch.3 theme entitled "Faith"

Source:

It's been a while, but I'm back with another attempt at Ikaruga!

Well, lets see. This started out when I was messing around with a synth vst. I made something sinister sounding and suddenly had the neat idea for the Ikaruga ch.3 melody to fit it. I quickly constructed a lackluster little arrangement, but was stuck on ideas and soon abandoned it. I came back to it a time later, changed the lead to a rhodes, and it started to sound rather funky. So I ran with the funk and came up with what you hear now. I honestly wanted to do more, but due to technical limitations (ie my comp choking on effects) I got frustrated and eventually just wanted to get 'er done, as they say. I had fun with the organ and jazz guitar though, and do like what I've done so far. I hope you enjoy it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ikaruga OSV - Ch.3 "Faith"

Intro took a while to build to something; I liked the plucked strings, nice transition to the bowed strings fading in at :35. Not really sure about that organ-like synth at :46.

Moved over at 1:00 into the melody, but the instruments sounded rather flat and the texture was sparse. Some more elements came in at 1:24 to flesh things out a little more, but it wasn't enough, IMO.

Dunno how the bassline was a strong point here. Several times, the bassline and/or supporting writing seemed like it didn't properly harmonize with the melodic content. Everything just continued like this, with the sounds being empty, the groove not locking together with the other instrumentation. The ending itself was pretty lackluster.

Not sure on what level this is above the bar. The sounds lacked depth, and the arrangement got aimless. Wish I could be more supportive, Paul, as all of your stuff has had and continues to have genuine potential. But this presentation sounds more like a mid-progress WIP.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Very laid back feel to this. I didn't particularly like the bass sound of this - perhaps a stronger, smoother, less 'slappy' bass sound would have been better.

During the intro, when the bass came in, it sounded very slightly off key to the intro pads.

The ending could have been a little better - not even a reverb trail off?

This mix could be a yes with some tweaks.

NO(Plz resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

BOOBASS

Generic boobass too, you didn't even beef it up or anything, you can do stuff to boobass to make it awesome you know, yours is all basic and generic. WIP-style.

Rhodes are generic and WIP-style too. Seriously, note-volume, panning, velocity. Utilise it to make it more interesting.

The background of the mix is as empty as a eunuch's pants, don't be afraid to fill it with apples and tomatoes and such.

Mix needs work, lots of work. Resubmit it if you can get it past the WIP stage to a finalised version.

Percussion/drums need to be less generic too.

NO