Contact info:

Artist name: Auxiliary Input

Email: sboyto@gmail.com

Homepage: www.auxiliary-input.com

User ID: Auxiliary-input

Remix info:

Game: Megaman III

Song name: Megaman III intro

Comment: I.. err. Well, it's a remix and I'm quite happy with it. For the full length 128kbit version go

Oh, and I hope it's ok that the song is 6.04 MB

It's rather simple in terms of a genre conversion. I like the sound; the production is great. The problem is that it goes on for about four and a half minutes and not much really happens aside from a straight adaptation of the MM3 intro. There aren't even any breaks in the middle where the song really breaks down and rebuilds.

Not bad, but needs more for OCR.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
It's rather simple in terms of a genre conversion. I like the sound; the production is great. The problem is that it goes on for about four and a half minutes and not much really happens aside from a straight adaptation of the MM3 intro. There aren't even any breaks in the middle where the song really breaks down and rebuilds.

Not bad, but needs more for OCR.

Hate to crib, but DS sums it up. I also thought the lead was a bit obscured compared to the beats, and that the sound quality was teetering a bit too much on the lossy side despite the encoding. Sounded like there wasn't enough meat on the high end.

The ending from 3:53 to the end was a bit too sparse and dragged on. Standard to the genre or not, it went on for too long. It wouldn't be a problem if the sounds weren't so thin and bland there.

Anyway, you gotta be more interpretive with the material. You converted the piece to more of a dance groove and changed up the rhythms, but that was about the extent of the interpretation. It lacks. If that's the short version, then as a listener there's no reason I'd wanna hear the longer version without you bringing more creativity and personalization to the plate.

NO

Even though the encoding is 192kbps, something about the sounds used sounds a little... lo-fi to me. Try using some loudness maximizes or spectral exciters (also known as harmonic exciters) to really bring out the highs without necessarily making things piercing. Alternatively, just turn up the volume on things or compress 'em more and put a limiter at the end. Hey, it might be a little cliche, but it's done for a reason - dance tracks call for lots of energy and that often comes in the form of more volume. Check out stickied topics in the ReMixing forum for more info on production/mixing/mastering for this kind of music. It can often make the difference between an "ok" dance track and a club-smasher, so to speak :)

Alright, so more general mastering stuff aside, I AM digging the feel of this. The intro with the tremolo synth is pretty sweet and the beat is good stuff. Good job on not using all completely generic sounds, as many people are tempted to do. That said, some of the melodic synths are a little plain and I would try to spice them up with more effects and layering. I would also try to spruce up the beat more if you have a song of this length. Add more high end percussion or some bongos/congas, shakers, maybe some breakbeats here and there, more tom/snare fills, and variations every so often. Generally speaking though, the production is pretty close to our bar.

I think the arrangement is better than DS and Larry made it out to be. Nonetheless, it's gotta be better. While you do some neat stuff with the chord progression and adding original material, a lot of that original material is on the bland side and you didn't do a whole lot with the actual melody and harmony parts. You can be a lot more adventurous when it comes to playing around with the source tune. As a genre adaptation this is solid; go for a few steps above that and you'll be in good shape. Resub please!

NO