*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Viridian Vibe: Another Day'

Liontamer

this is a track for the upcoming PKMN project. its going to be a while till it's released, so i'm just submitting this early. i'd appreciate it if you all sat on this track till the project's done (or till it collapses, whichever comes first). I've got one for LAProject that's coming in the next email.

song: Viridian City Theme

game: Pokemon RBY

track name: Viridian Vibe

remixer: The Prophet

i performed the sax and handdrums, and the rest is synthed with Reason, rewired through FL for the recordings and mastering.

with this track, i tried to capture the feeling that Ash would have in visiting his first 'big' city outside of pallet town. its the first time he's gone out in the real world, and i wanted to get the feeling that he's sitting on a park bench somewhere, with this 'busy' city all around him, and he's starting to feel a little small and unimportant. part of this is coming from my first experience in a really big city last year, when i went to NYC for the first time. the feeling of being amazingly small, and no one cares about you is the feel i was going for.

i basically finished this track about six or eight months ago, and then just recently re-opened the file and added the handdrums, and then performed it at a talent show on campus.

if there's any questions about the track, feel free to ask me.

BRAD

• 4 weeks later...

The sax is played very sexily. Loving it. But the mix seems to be focused entirely on what that sax is doing. The percussion is on auto-pilot pretty much. It would've been nice if it built up to something a little more full, right now you have the same general sound going on for a solid 3-minutes.

Right now, it just doesn't sound like it's living up to its full potential. You have beautiful sax playing, but that's not enough to carry a mix, you need to give the same attention to detail on everything else. I'm expecting the beats to pick up to something more solid around 1:08, with a stronger bass and maybe some pads to back up with the synths in the background. Right now it's just empty in the place that it should be coming together as a solid mix of beautiful sounds.

The arrangement is good for what you've done with the saxophone. It sounds more like a song inspired by the Viridian City music than an actual remix of the tune. But I can hear the source in there enough that it just barely scrapes by as a remix. I'd maybe cut back just a little on the creative additive arrangement and focus on solidly playing a familiar section of the source for at least a few bars so the fans can go "aww yeah, that's the viridian theme I know and love."

Anyway, that's nitpicking. My main problem is the percussion and the empty soundscape in the middle of the mix. I think this could use more work to fulfill its potential. It's technically close to being passable right now, but I can't pass something that I can see being easily made 10 times more enjoyable with a bit more work.

NO. Rework, Resubmit.

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/pokemonb.zip - Track 7

Hate to have to agree, especially with the potential here, but Lee's basically right on all accounts, at least from my perspective.

I thought the arrangement got far off the beaten path of the source tune, sounding too liberal. Even the background ideas didn't sound much like the source's own. You gotta make the connections more observable, as to me this doesn't scrape by. I'd always NO something I wasn't sure about on that level.

If there's something we're completely missing, we'd appreciate a breakdown of the connections with the source, but the onus is on you, the submitter, to somehow make the connections clear to the Js when things aren't clear.

Though the recording sounded a bit lossy, the sax playing was indeed the seckxzs. But I also thought the sax work took center stage at the expense of the effort on the supporting instrumentation, especially the beats. The beat writing was solid; I loved the lil' almost sparking effects sprinkled in there throughout, by the way. However, the patterns there were extremely repetitive.

The bassline definitely could have been selectively beefed up, and didn't contribute enough to the atmosphere and energy of the piece. Like Lee said, the general feel of the track is the same most of the way, so you need to manufacture more dynamics. A good base, but keep working on it.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...
Though the recording sounded a bit lossy, the sax playing was indeed the seckxzs.

:lol:

Anyway, it's all been said; I couldn't agree more with TO (and the Larries). This is a really smooth, sexy piece, but it's just a little too liberal at the moment. Everything other than the sax sounds more like filler than arrangement. I know how frustrating it can be to remix when you have one special performing talent that you wanna showcase, but don't worry: you're headed in the right direction! Production sounds really awesome. Just tie in the original a little more, and you'll be golden.

NO RESUBMIT!