Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/longboxofchocolate

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LongBoxofChocolate

Game: Undertale

Title: Make Your Life Hell

Source: Stronger Monsters, Hopes & Dreams

Link:

“Warning: this name will make your life hell. Proceed anyway?”

“YES.”

This track is an upbeat alt-rock cover of Undertale’s secret hardmode theme. Inspired by sonic artisans such as The Killers, MisterWives, and The Strokes, our dear saxophonist laid an amazing foundation for us to capitalize on these influences. We are thrilled with the final product - so just sit back and enjoy the chocolately goodness.

Cheers!

The performances here are all top notch and the arrangement is dynamite!  My only complaint is that the mixing is just a tad on the muddy side and things get a bit too busy in some spots.  The transition at 2:06 is quite abrupt and I hear a bit of distortion there.  The synth leads sound really good and clean, almost too clean against the busy organic background.  These are nitpicks in the larger picture though, and I really like this track!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/04/18 - (1Y) Undertale 'Make Your Life Hell'

Aw yeah, I love you guys. You probably know that from the WIP board comments, though - I do have a tendancy to gush a tad. The arrangement for this is incredibly fun, easy to recognize and ultimately even more playful than the source material. The skaw style goin' here is full of flavor.

It's not without it's issues, though. Chimp is correct in pointing out the muddy presentation, as well as the relatively dry synth work that's present at 1:09 (it's not bad, but it does feel inconsistent with the rest of the track when it's too dry). I feel that the mixing also has it's ups and downs, contributing to the 'muddiness' factor that we're hearing. The balancing of your lead guitar, for example, is alright in the beginning, but when all of the other elements come in at the mini climax at 0:47 it gets drown a little by the other instruments. The saxes at 0:58 are underwhelming behind that pad, as well. A lot of the production and mixing is well done, but the quality is inconsistent throughout, as far as balance and mixing is concerned.

The overall performances and arrangement outweigh the production issues, though. It's still a great tribute to Undertale, and I think it would work wonderfully on OCR. Awesome work!

YES

Everything sounded distant, but increasing the volume a touch made it OK relative to the levels of a typical track. Agreed on the sax placement and energy feeling underwhelming, but that felt more like a balance issue.

Didn't feel the key change into "Hopes and Dreams" at 2:53 flowed as well as it could have, but the combination of themes still worked fine.

So I agreed with the others that the production wasn't ideal, but everything's solidly over the line with the arrangement creativity and overall mixing. Gimme dat chocolate!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/04/18 - (3Y) Undertale 'Make Your Life Hell'

Mixing was weak but the arrangement and performances overall were good enough to nudge this over the bar for me. Some EQ surgery would help the drums and bass feel punchier, and would also help highlight the performances a bit better too. Keychange felt a bit awkward, but the energy of the section helped out a bit. 

Good enough for me, nice work!

Yes

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03424 - Undertale "Make Your Life Hell"