Composing NES music

RaiDK

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/nessf2_1.0.zip

The NES soundfont replicates the square waves near flawlessly without having to learn FamiTracker's ridiculous layout and functions. Trust me on this.

holy fuck what no

nearly flawlessly my ass, though it's a lot closer than triforce.

If you've gotta sample NES sounds, rip them out of virt's chiptunes via modplug or some other tracker

Okay I gotta stop freaking out about this shit

Okay okay. I know I overreact to these kind of things.

I realize FamiTracker is using a very old interface, but that's pretty close to how people made NES music in the first place :) or at least, that's how it was made on computers.

I also realize some of you aren't really aiming for authenticity and that's FINE, I just don't want to hear it when you're done ( ¯_>¯)

Okay okay. I know I overreact to these kind of things.

I realize FamiTracker is using a very old interface, but that's pretty close to how people made NES music in the first place :) or at least, that's how it was made on computers.

I also realize some of you aren't really aiming for authenticity and that's FINE, I just don't want to hear it when you're done ( ¯_>¯)

The outcome can easily be compared to some NES chiptunes and then adjusted with an EQ if authenticity is a goal.

Except for the stuttered nature of the volume envelopes [something BARELY detectable [if at all] to the human ear] you can get extremely convincing results with a sampler.

You don't have to resort to ripping the samples from Virt's songs either. Just grab any NON konami nsf. Konami uses so many effects that you'll be hard pressed to find any clean samples HOWEVER, konami soundtracks are the only source for DPCM samples.

If you don't know how to rip sounds from an nsf, PM me and I'll upload waves of the various NES sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a tracker that lets you write your own .nsf files.

I should really try to make a beginner's guide to chiptunes and post it in this forum somewhere. I might work on it when that xm-to-spc tool is done.

Wow! Excellent! I'm gonna try this out now. Thanks a lot for that tip!!! I love tracking interfaces.

I have tried it out now. Works great. Quite hard to make good drum-samples though.

And while we're on the topic, perhaps one of u know of any good trackers. I hoped for sk@le-tracker, but it seems down. I also liked renoise, except that it costs money.

And while we're on the topic, perhaps one of u know of any good trackers. I hoped for sk@le-tracker, but it seems down. I also liked renoise, except that it costs money.

I think modplug is decent. If you want one with more modern features, try Madtracker. It gets you VST and ASIO support, just like Renoise, though the interfaces of the two are completely different. Renoise is pretty freakin' fancy though. I'd say it is worth the 50 euros.

Oh right! Also, reduz just finished another tracker. Hooray! I played around with the beta, I haven't checked out the solid release yet, but it's a semi-IT clone, an oldschool interface I actually like.

I think modplug is decent. If you want one with more modern features, try Madtracker. It gets you VST and ASIO support, just like Renoise, though the interfaces of the two are completely different. Renoise is pretty freakin' fancy though. I'd say it is worth the 50 euros.

Oh right! Also, reduz just finished another tracker. Hooray! I played around with the beta, I haven't checked out the solid release yet, but it's a semi-IT clone, an oldschool interface I actually like.

Oh yeah. Modplug. I used that player when I had win95 installed :), never tried the tracker. I'll try it out.

Chibitracker was beautiful, but I've never come to terms with Impulse-tracker. I'm more of a fast-tracker person.

I so fell in love with renoise's channel-bundling or... you know that thing. It's an awesome program, but sk@le-tracker was getting there.

*sigh*- maybe renoise worth buying after all.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/nessf2_1.0.zip

The NES soundfont replicates the square waves near flawlessly without having to learn FamiTracker's ridiculous layout and functions. Trust me on this.

holy fuck what no

nearly flawlessly my ass, though it's a lot closer than triforce.

If you've gotta sample NES sounds, rip them out of virt's chiptunes via modplug or some other tracker

Okay I gotta stop freaking out about this shit

Oh, freaking out is warranted to an extent. :)

From a lot of what I've heard these VSTs don't sound very spot on. Some sound pretty far off, even.

If learning famitracker or MML is too daunting for some (like me), you can always learn more user friendly sample based trackers, or even something totally different than a tracker (whatever you guys are familiar with), and just sequence music based off of samples taken from NES music.

Whether or not you plan on meeting the system's limitations, you're guaranteed to match the general sound of the NES if you sample sounds produced by one. It wouldn't be possible to NOT sound like an NES that way, obviously. 8)

You can listen to nsfs, select whichever channel is of interst (by shutting off the rest of course), and sample away. I've been using audacity and/or goldwave to do so.

The most difficult part of that is tuning samples and making them loop cleanly, but I at least know how to do that with modplug. It's really not all that hard... I can elaborate if anyone is intersted.

My two most recent NES sounding projects are the two medleys up on my page, check 'em out if you're interested (if you're not overcoat).

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96050

meh...i wish i could use that software...though, when I try to remix stuff using NES synth, I record some shit off the NES emulator...and then edit the shit using this shitty mixing software called Adobe Audition (which fucking sometimes fucking shuts me down whenever I'm in the middle of mixing)...Hell, sometimes I won't be able to save a certain session whenever i'm done and want to go back and make a re-do of the mixes i create.