Miguel Ángel Ramírez López

www.soundcloud.com/noise-boulder-records

SUBMISSION INFO:

Duke Nukem 3D
Nostalgic Dump
Arragement of "Water World" from Toxic Dump level
Original song by Robert C Prince

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/11 - Duke Nukem 3D 'Nostalgia Dump'

Mmm, slow, deliberate, and infuses a whole lot of life into the sparse source. The pacing is slow and plodding, but it sounds deliberate. The track as a whole suffers from being fairly static from 1:36 up to the 3 minute mark. Prior and past that point things shift around and keep the track as a whole varied and interesting, but that's a pretty long time to basically be doing the same thing sonically.

This is chill as fuck, though, and the source references are solid. The style is delicious and the production is rock solid. I think it's more than good enough for a post - awesome work!

YES

I listened to the source for reference first, and was a bit dubious that you could create something interesting out of that, but you definitely succeeded in meeting that challenge.

I agree with Gario that the instrumentation feels a little old by the time it hits 3:00, but like him that's my only critique.  Arrangement and production are definitely on par.  Nice job.

YES

• 1 month later...

The beat at 1:10 had decent body to it, but there was still an overall emptiness in the textures that should have been filled out more. The addition of the synth at 1:37 thankfully provided much of that filling in, although there's still gaps in here, and something's still lacking, IMO. I liked the original writing of that lead synth though, which comfortably clicked with the source tune. Overall, the arrangement's solid, but there's something about the beat that could have been more interesting over time.

More original writing took the foreground from 3:05 until the end, with the source melody occasionally being (barely) audible in the background around 3:59. No issue there, as that approach is allowed, and the source tune usage easily checked out as dominating the arrangement.

Dynamically, the groove ultimately became static past the midway point, but I agreed with the other Js that the sounds were used well for the most part. The original 3:05 section helped seal the deal for this by developing new writing ideas for the track and filling out the textures more cohesively. Great job taking a very barebones piece and effectively expanding the part-writing with your own ideas, Miguel! Welcome aboard!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/11 - (3Y) Duke Nukem 3D 'Nostalgia Dump'

Despite the somewhat aggressive nature of the beat and instrumentation, I found this track to be kinda laid back actually.  It's not trying to melt my face, rather it seems like it's trying to be mysterious.  Anyways, regarding the production, It all sounds pretty solid here, and as I'm a fan of big snares, you've won some extra good boy points there.  The lead used to carry the melody is perfect for the mood, and properly performed.  Around 3:35 when the track reaches a climax, it gets quite busy but I can still hear the details, which is good.

No qualms with the arrangement, which can be heard throughout the song and is transformed and enhanced by this remix.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/11 - *YES - TAG* Duke Nukem 3D 'Nostalgic Dump'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic