Is it legal to make remixes of VGMs without permission?

NOIZ Ctrl

Hello Everybody!

I am not new to VGM composing,
but I'm new to remixing VGM, and new to this site too.

So MY QUESTION is:
Is it legal to make remixes of VGMs without permission?

For ex.: How can I legally make say a Zelda VGM remix without Nintendo sueing me for not asking and because I don't have the permission of course?

Thank you for your help!

NOIZ Ctrl

Thanks for your fast reply!

My plan is simple:
- Make some VGM remixes.
- Upload them to OC Remix (obviously because I like VGM AND for free promotion reasons).

Is this legal if I just do this?
How does this work here on OC Remix?

For ex. YouTube doesn't like covers/remixes/etc that doesn't have permission,
I will get flags on my videos and any kind of alert messages from music publishers or maybe from Nintendo or whatever.
Does this work differently on OC Remix?

(But I just want to do for the love of VGM, and of course it is automatically a free promotion thing too,
but I wouldn't make any music if I wouldn't share them to people.)

So should I even bother with remixes at all, without permission, but giving them out for free?

2 hours ago, NOIZ Ctrl said:

My plan is simple:
- Make some VGM remixes.
- Upload them to OC Remix (obviously because I like VGM AND for free promotion reasons).

I don't know if you read how things work on OCR but you cannot upload your tracks *like that* on the website. Also, OCR is dedicated to promote VGM, not to promote artists for free (some exceptions happen, with veteran remixers who turned pro for instance). I invite you to check out the "About" section.

2 hours ago, NOIZ Ctrl said:

Is this legal if I just do this?
How does this work here on OC Remix?

For ex. YouTube doesn't like covers/remixes/etc that doesn't have permission,
I will get flags on my videos and any kind of alert messages from music publishers or maybe from Nintendo or whatever.
Does this work differently on OC Remix?

(But I just want to do for the love of VGM, and of course it is automatically a free promotion thing too,
but I wouldn't make any music if I wouldn't share them to people.)

So should I even bother with remixes at all, without permission, but giving them out for free?

OCR isn't too different from YouTube or any other platforms since they're all on the Internet: they're bound to IP law and such. Then, some websites have different policies and rules: OCR has its own Content Policy. Staff members would be more suited to answer on those points.

You can still upload remixes to YouTube (as a lot of people are doing). Where it becomes problematic for that platform would be if you monetize your videos: only then would companies try to get the video removed. If you share your remixes for free, I don't see the problem.

1 hour ago, Chernabogue said:

Where it becomes problematic for that platform would be if you monetize your videos:
only then would companies try to get the video removed.

If you share your remixes for free, I don't see the problem.

I thought the same a few months ago, but I started to read and ask around about this, and everybody says different things that confuses me a lot.

Some people said that if you upload any cover or remix or similar type or music for free, it is still kind of not legal, because it promotes you (if it's good music, I guess),
and free promotions will make money later, in the long term it is still making money using other people's material in my own remix/cover etc.

Some thinks like that, and I am not sure what OC Remix thinks about this.

Maybe I will try to read all the Policy-thing link that you linked for me (thanks!),
but I thought it would be easier and faster to ask around in the forum.

Thank you for your suggestion!
Maybe I will try to ask an OC Remix staff about this.

Flexstyle,
Thanks for the FAQ link, I'll read it tonight!

TheCharningRhino,
I hope it is not only about luck :)
In the past I did the same thing, but I just deleted all my music that has any material out of my own, so I will upload only my original sounds/melodies/music etc until I'm not 100% sure that it's OK to do that.
I never did (intentionally) any illegal thing in my life, and I don't want to, but if I don't know the rules, they are still apply to me.
I've bought all my VSTs and DAW, I want to be clear and clean about this remix "business" too before I do anything. :) I could calm down, if I knew I am OK with all the rules and law and similar annoying mindtwisting things like that.