Cubase 4

Just my luck that two months after I purchase Cubase SL 3, Steinberg rolls out Cubase 4.

Does anyone here use Cubase 4? Is it worth the upgrade?

Since they changed the naming scheme, how does Cubase Studio 4 compare with SL 3?

Would I need to buy a new dongle (I hear they're going to stop including them with the products, which is retarded.) or would the one that came with SL 3 work?

I've already heard dongle like 5 times today, and it's only noon. what gives?

I don't see why you should buy a product which effectively WASTES your usb ports for the sake of anti-piracy. I'd buy it, but if I did, I'd probably crack it, since, even though I have like 8 USB ports, most of them are taken up by... you know... useful things.

I don't see why you should buy a product which effectively WASTES your usb ports for the sake of anti-piracy. I'd buy it, but if I did, I'd probably crack it, since, even though I have like 8 USB ports, most of them are taken up by... you know... useful things.

This is why people sacrifice a single USB port to connect a 4-port hub or something. Dongles don't draw power - so a hub is perfectly alright.

A dongle -is- something useful. Just count on it that without an iLok or Syncrosoft stick you won't be able to check out demos of most commercial plugins (Arturia Prophet V anyone?).

A dongle -is- something useful. Just count on it that without an iLok or Syncrosoft stick you won't be able to check out demos of most commercial plugins (Arturia Prophet V anyone?).

I'm probably going to spend the next week trying to figure the reasoning of this one line out. The only way they're "useful" is that it's another fun obstacle for cracker groups to bypass in the never-ending waste of time circle that is company-vs-pirate.

I don't exactly have the money to spend, anyway. Why should I care? The freeware out there is good enough for me!

The only way they're "useful" is that it's another fun obstacle for cracker groups to bypass in the never-ending waste of time circle that is company-vs-pirate.

On the other hand, Amplitube 2 has been out for a very long time and has not been cracked. Cubase 4 has been out for at least a month and has not been cracked, and probably won't be. There are several other programs out there that are in the same state. To date, the *only* pirate group to crack the protection has disbanded amid rumors that they were actually hired by Steinberg to work on protection schemes. Before they disbanded they said that the program they cracked took so much work that it would probably be their last release ever. That's pretty much what happened.

Normally protections only hinder paying customers, but these companies have found a way to make it hinder the pirates too.

-steve

Dongles are just pointless, especially considering they're probably ending more sales than they're starting. I know of multiple people who refuse to use Cubase because of the dongle, and because of it sequencers like Sonar and Logic get more users. Besides, EVERYTHING software has some kind of back door or way to be manipulated in some shape or fashion and delaying the process doesn't help any.

I know of multiple people who refuse to use Cubase because of the dongle, and because of it sequencers like Sonar and Logic get more users.

Actually, Logic uses a dongle. Also so does Digital Performer and Pro Tools, and none of these three have been cracked as far as I know. Personally, I have a dongle and I have no problems with it. It almost always stays connected to my desktop and I usually don't even remember that it exists.