Gario

ReMixer Name: ZackParrish

Email: 
Site: ZackParrish.Com
User ID: 29013

Name of Game arranged: "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story"
Name of arrangement: "All That Remains"
Name of individual song arranged: "The Grand Finale"

Track was originally produced for the album "Harmony of Heroes: Final Smash". Prior to working on this track I had never heard of the game or listened to the music, but I really enjoyed this theme.

Oh shit, time for one of my absolute favorite 'Final Battle' tracks in any RPG to get some remixing love. Yeah, I said it; Bowser's Inside Story has one of the best final boss tracks out there, and it shocks me as much as anyone else. Great game, glad to see a really good arrangement of it finally.

There's some really cool stuff in this one - those solo instruments are sequenced quite well, and everything is sounding crisp in the production department. The arrangement has some really great expansions on the source material, to boot - that slower middle section has some absolutely great reharmonization that adds so much damn flavor.

The mixing in this one is catching me off guard, though. While all of the instruments are easy enough to hear, there's a lack of sense of foreground, middleground or background. Mind you, the arrangement isn't cluttered or overly crowded, but the leads often blend into the rest of the track, level-wise. It's not a crushing issue (since overall one can still hear everything that's going on), but it does feel a little direction-less in the mixing.

Being a little more nit-picky, that trumpet sample at 2:12 has a hint of lead-time on it that makes it sound like it's off the beat by just a bit, making that lead sound sluggish. Not a big deal, but something to pay attention to next time.

Yeah, I really like this otherwise. Mixing complaints aside, this is a really cool arrangement of one of my favorites. Let's put it up on OCR.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/12/24 - (1Y) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story "All That Remains"
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to add to Gario's comments.  The balancing takes some unexpected turns in places, but it never makes anything hard to make out. 

I would add that the main hook gets repeated on violin a few more times than I'd like; in particular, 3:02-3:57 is mostly quite similar to the first pass through the same section and I'd have preferred more in the way of variation, especially since it's the most conservative part of the remix.  That's my biggest concern, though, and I don't think it's reason enough to send this back.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the guys on the mixing being a tad flat.  I agree with MW that the main hook is played on violin a few times more than I'd like.  The breakdown is epic and the trumpet is sequenced well although the volume gets too loud at one point.  The sudden chiptune section is an excellent surprise, and the chiptune elements mix in a very cool way with the orchestral soundscape when they play together.  Overall a unique and creative take on this source!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/12/24 - (3Y) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story "All That Remains"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03753 - *YES* Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story "All That Remains"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic