OCR03868 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "While the Wind Fish Sleeps"

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: bGevko
Email Address: 

Game Arranged: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Name of Arrangement: "While the Wind Fish Sleeps"
Songs Arranged: Ghost House / Mabe Village theme

Additional Info:

Link's Awakening was the 4th installment in the Zelda Series, released for the original Gameboy handheld in 1993 and later updated and re-released in color as Link's Awakening DX in 1998 for the Gameboy color.  Composers for the game's soundtracks were Yoshiaki Koizumi and Kensuke Tanabe.

My comments:
How's it going guys?  Here I have a remix of Ghost House from Link's Awakening.  My original intention was to keep it somber and reflect the mood of the little house by the shore, but as the progression started to shape, it took itself into an unexpected direction, so one could say that it's a remix of Mabe village theme as well.  Although the remix can be interpreted in many ways, in my mind the arrangement is symbolic to spending a day on Koholint Island, with each section reflecting the time of day.  Perhaps it could be viewed from the perspective of one of its happy little residents, or even the little ghost, whom in my imagination, received a second chance to inhabit the island for just one more day before moving on (and the whole island disappearing).  Anyways, these were some of my inspirations.  You can check out the original here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgTrcNlHMo

The sound palette wasn't blowaway and felt thin in spots, but the combination of chiptune sounds and sampled instruments was quirky & fun. It was a solidly produced combination that kept things light and upbeat, and felt like a well-executed GBA-style soundtrack arrangement remake, so I dug it. Pretty straightforward. Good luck with the rest of the vote, Bogdan! :-)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about some of the sounds as well--the strings that start at 2:42, with their strange, mechanical swell and decay, are especially grating.  But they're good enough to serve their purpose, as is the arrangement--it's repetitive, but each loop has different instrumentation and some different twists.  I'd prefer a more transformative arrangement, but I think this is above our bar.

YES

• 4 months later...

I feel like this is what people think when they hear the words "video game remix."

This a very cute song with a lot of substance to it. Piano is killer. SFX are used REALLY well. I love how everything locks together.

As for the strings at 2:42, I do agree with MW a little. What you wanna do when you've got a string sample with a long attack like that is to just have it trigger just a few milliseconds before the downbeat. Not sure what DAW you're using, but for FLStudio users this would amount to turning off snap and dragging all of the string patterns slightly to the left in the playlist. That way you get a string lead that doesn't sound like it's slightly anemic.

BUT

None of that is a dealbreaker in this track. I'm really into this. Great job. YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2018/01/11 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "While the Wind Fish Sleeps"
  • 2 weeks later...

Basic synths with stereo separation worked well. At 1:02 I was taken off guard by the direction of the arrangement. While I usually find the use of sound fx from the game a remix is based on to be cheap and often irritating, but here it works rhythmically to complement the arrangement as opposed to acting as cheap filler. The following transition where strings were introduced was a nice change. Percussion that is mixed throughout fits well, and helps to differentiate this from other minimal mixes. Creative take on the original.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2018/01/11) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "While the Wind Fish Sleeps"
  • Liontamer locked this topic