*NO* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Legend of the Koroks"

Rexy

• 1 month later...

Starts off as a nice, simple reorchestration, wisely leaning on the live flute performance.  Typical Tripp, with a conservative arrangement but rich instrumentation.

The men's choir is... problematic.  It's tremendously fake-sounding throughout, with some especially weird notes at 1:47 that threw me right off the groove.  The part around 2:00 is strangely written, and around 2:05 is crazy, with voices singing all over themselves and modulating in an extremely inhuman way.  At some points the same voices apparently can't make up their minds whether they're baritones, tenors, or castrati.

2:57 sounds like a wrong note, and it's followed by a section where the lead (marimba?) is completely buried.

This is mostly pretty great, but that choir is, to me, unacceptable.  This would probably work just fine if you took the part out completely, and would certainly work if you just substituted it for strings or something.  Not quite a CONDITIONAL but close.

NO (please resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

really fun original. it feels so alive.

5.1db headroom =(

boy, the first statement of the melody is real fun. i love the lightness of the arrangement, and i love your continued attention to orchestral percussion (which no one uses enough!). the string swell under the flute at :30 or so is just a delightful transition. the harp (i believe? it's pretty metallic) is brighter and lacking room sound which is weird, but it is better later when it goes farther down the instrument.

things get a little questionable around 1:20. there's something in the background (i can't tell if it's an oboe or a soprano sax) that has some crazy vibrato on it, causing it to have some really weird pitch tendencies. the men's choir is silly as MW said - it's not close to sounding real, and the significant jumps in volume that randomly occur just make it more obvious. the chord walk at 1:57 isn't wrong per se, but it sounds so strange (due to emphasizing the 1 and 5 vs. the 3/7, i think?) that it may as well have been. the part at 2:05 is also silly in that it's creative and fun and interesting writing! and it's stuck being 'sung' by a robo-choir voice instead of something that i actually wanted to hear. it completely eclipses the interesting counterpoint going on around it.

things get back to normal after that around 2:15ish, and it's a pretty clear recap of the first section without being the same. i liked the handoff between picc, flute, and clarinet, but still didn't care for the clumsy men's choir doing the chords. the change to using the marimba and bass clarinet to carry the melodic content and harmony was real nice, but it definitely gets muddy here as there's a lot going on in the same range. 2:57 definitely sounded wrong until i realized it's a borrowed chord that's just voiced real poorly so you can't hear what's what in the middle of the mush. after that clears up real nice however, and it goes back to the more nuanced body of the beginning. the overall writing here is really nice, but the bass clarinet kinda honks over it and took me out of the mood almost immediately. that's a timbral issue, not a volume one. the rest of the ending was solid here.

overall, i really loved the concept of the piece, but there was a few parts like the male choir and some of the live performances that just totally stuck out. correcting those missteps from an arrangement perspective and applying a bit of light compression to make the track more consistent from a volume standpoint will really improve the overall product. as it is, though, this doesn't meet the bar.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, I was about to write up my thoughts on this one but I think the Other Js summed up pretty well what's wrong with this track.  That said, I don't think these issues bring down the track overall.  Specially the notes near the 2:57 minute mark, they don't sound offkey to me, just sounds like an odd selection and configuration of chord + articulations.  The male choir is not good that's for sure but it's only a part of the arrangement, and I don't think it's that over-present to take away from the rest of the track which is beautifully arranged and orchestrated.

To me the biggest issue here that may be a reason for rejection, is the choir.  The other issues I can hear get into the realm of nitpicking for me.  Even then the choir doesn't play for too long (thankfully), and doesn't have that much influence in the song as a whole for me.

YES (borderline)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/01/04 - (1Y/2N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Legend of the Koroks"

This arrangement is absolutely lovely, but that male choir unfortunately blows it completely for me.  The patterns the choir is playing are so unnatural and repetitive, and this choir is present throughout the majority of the track.  I wonder how it would sound with strings instead of the choir.  I can't quite get past the choir to enjoy the rest of the arrangement which is Rebecca's typical level of awesome.  Also, the master is very much too quiet.  Could we try this with something replacing the choir, and with the master brought up a few db?

NO (please resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2019/01/04 - (1Y/3N) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Legend of the Koroks"
  • 2 weeks later...

Great instrumentation as always. Good amount of depth in the dynamics, although as the others have mentioned, this could certainly be boosted up without any negative effect. The choir also stuck out a bit for me, against the other elements it felt lower in quality and broke the immersion, and I'm normally a softie on this stuff. Things travel in a similar pace throughout, 3:00 changes things up a little. Each section has its charm, and we get changes in parts of the ensemble for variance. I think this is a good mix, but would side with the others here on boosting the volume, and perhaps looking at that choir implementation while in there. Once we get that looked at, I think we’re fine.

NO

• Rexy locked this topic