*NO* Mother 3 "A Full Moon Rises over Nowhere"

Rexy

Remix Title: A Full Moon Rises Over Nowhere

Remixer: Somewareman AKA Ben Molulon

Game Arranged: Mother 3

Songs Arranged: 
Mind of a Thief (Duster's Theme): http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_of_a_Thief?file=MOTHER_3-_Mind_of_a_Thief
Going Alone: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Going_Alone?file=MOTHER_3-_Going_Alone
Gentle Rain: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Gentle_Rain?file=MOTHER_3-_Gentle_Rain

Now here's a little something I've been working on for a while. I've spent quite some time figuring out FL Studio, and now I might just have something of acceptable quality to submit. (fingers crossed!) Mother 3's always been a special game to me, and to a lot of people it seems. I actually heard a lot of the game's music before I was ever able to play it, and Duster's Theme was one of my absolute favorites. I kept pretty conservative with the remix. I wanted to keep the laid back, quaint, yet almost melancholy feel that a lot of Mother 3's music evokes while changing up the rhythm here and there so the track doesn't feel too stale.

Mother 3 is a treasure trove of hundreds wonderful tunes. Impressive, considering it's for the Gameboy Advance. I wish it were more accessible to people so we could get more awesome remixes.

Edited by prophetik music

• 1 month later...

It's a decent mashup, a nice coherent combination of the three sources that doesn't sound like a medley (although the sources have some commonalities that make this easier).  However, I'm not fully sold.   It doesn't feel like a 4:30 mix with multiple interwoven sources, and it took me a while to realize why it felt longer and less interesting than it was.

Partially, this is because the lead synth present in most of the mix gets a whole lot of stage time.  Synth pieces like this usually switch up the lead more often; this only changes it for the bridge.  It wears on you after a while.

But the bigger issue is the percussion, I think.  The hats and kick are incredibly weak, and there's not much to the snare either.  They're so passive that they make the arrangement as a whole lack dynamic energy.

Also, there's a lot going on in the mids.  The harmony, rhythm, snare, and the high end of the bass are all occupying the same space, and they're pretty wet.  You can hear the parts, but they're pretty muddy.

Finally, this is pretty quiet.  Over 2dB of headroom that there's no reason for.

There's a good foundation here.  Switch up the leads and liven up the drums and the bulk of this will have been addressed.  The rest is some minor production tweaks.  Pretty good for your debut effort!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

uh.. is it just me, or is this mix's panning wack?  like the right channel is noticeably louder.

Ah, it's not just me:
image.thumb.png.b5702fd98e3fc6fbc7ac985741279f81.png.

you might have an issue with your setup here.  Based on this I can't really pass this but I'll still offer some criticism over the rest of the track.

First the track feels pretty static overall, I don't think the climaxes/breaks/buildups are managed well here, it lacks dynamic energy.  The drums are pretty simplistic and kinda buried in the back.  I like your brassy synth tho, pretty smooth.  Also your leads are nice and have some articulations applied to them so good job with that.
I feel the mix has a lot of mud, may be because of the reverb having a lot of low end content, but there's not a lot of separation frequency-wise below mids.
I think the arrangement is ok, helped by the songs being already kinda similar, but I think more could be done to make a full song out of the three sources.  In fact I think this is a culprit of the static nature of the arrangement, as the usual structure is not clearly defined due to having the three sources and not being properly re-structured into a single song.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/01/30 - (2N) Mother 3 "A Full Moon Rises Over Nowhere"

the other guys said what i think about this already. it's way heavy in the right ear, which nuts already pointed out, and that's enough for a reject right there unfortunately. beyond that, while i liked the tone and attention to the lead synth, it was definitely way too heavy throughout. the background synths are monstly the same throughout and also pretty blah, the bass is real generic and sounds like it's in a tin can, and the drums have zero body. the mastering is very mid-heavy as well.

i really actually liked the lead synth's humanization and what it was saying, and i didn't mind the arrangement. it needs so much more work in terms of improving overall sound quality though. there's just not enough there to consider this passable.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Mother 3 "A Full Moon Rises over Nowhere"