*NO* Final Fantasy 7 "Buried in the Attic"

Rexy

• 3 weeks later...

12 dB of headroom.  Twelve.  Seriously, Rebecca, I love your music, but stop it.

Orchestral remixes of orchestral sources are a tough sell.  They're going to be inherently conservative unless you make a dramatic change.  There are some minor orchestration changes in the first half, but they're barely noticeable.  The second half does expand on the theme, but it's sort of empty expansion, not really adding anything to or changing anything about the existing material.  It comes across as little more than padding.  I don't think this is transformative enough, taken as a whole.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/05/28 - (1N) Final Fantasy 7 "Buried in the Attic"
3 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

12 dB of headroom.  Twelve.  Seriously, Rebecca, I love your music, but stop it.

yeah.

i'm going to agree with MW here. there's some really nice quality-of-life arrangement changes here. for example, in the beginning, the harp's nice, shifting some of the shifting chords to flute is good scoring, and some of the interspersed little added bars are nice at breaking up what's honestly a fairly tedious (in a creepy way) source. but there's so much wasted potential. 1:12 is your opportunity to totally go off the rails arrangement-wise and do something totally inspired and different from the (essentially) cover you've done to this point, and it features the most compelling part of the entire song - a biting half-step suspension that essentially defines the entire track's linear movement and is the one thing that listeners walk away from the original remembering - and you...just sorta do the same thing you do on every track, which is to continue to add flute, harp, and glock. there's no originality here, it's a formula being dropped on it without attention to the game track.

the second half starting at 1:45 tries to get outside of the box some more, but there's still not really anything new going on. the solo arpeggios over sustained string chords have a bit of schindler's list / fiddler on the roof to them, but they're there and gone again too quick to really clarify a connection. 2:46 has a nice orchestral crescendo into a pretty charming little moment at 3:07, but it's just too little too late for this one, i think.

i probably sound like i hate it, and i don't. the sustains have nice dynamic contrast, there's some really beautiful moments of orchestration, and the overall arc of the work isn't bad. there's just not enough attention here to the actual original. this feels like something that got churned out quickly because you wanted to do a track for this original. i feel like you could change the melody on this one to any of a dozen other FF tracks and get the same effect, and that's a cardinal sin in my book. especially for a soundtrack with as much character and heart as this one has. if you choose to revisit this one, get into the song more and find ways to weave your work into it. don't just paint on a layer of decent samples on top and drizzle on some glock and harp and call it done. between the low headroom and the lack of care of the arrangement, this is just not exhibiting a finished, polished vibe.

NO

The others have already covered what I was going to say here: the first half really is just too close, and when it does diverge the arrangement doesn't really build. The string samples also feel a bit mechanical and stiff, which doesn't convey the emotion of what you're going for well. 

I'd like to hear the first half to branch out more, and maybe try to build more into that crescendo at 2:53 or so. 

Also please bring the volume up!

NO (resubmit)