*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Dancing with the Angels: Part I'

Liontamer

Contact info

* ReMixer name: Uboichi

* E-mail: uubjacobson@quicknet.nl

ReMix info

* Game: Final Fantasy VI

* Song Remixed: Dancing Mad

I started out on this thing almost 1.5 years ago. During the production of this project I attended the Conservatory of Amsterdam to study composition. For my study I needed a lot of time so this project ended up being abandoned. During the first year (pre-year actually) my mother became gravely ill so I decided to temporarily quit my study to go home and care for my mom. For the last few lessons before I went home I requested my professor to review the then still unfinished arrangement on Dancing Mad. So some of the credit goes to Fabio Nieder for helping me with this ReMix.

The first version was really way too complex. It was like an unholy union between Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Kurtag, Uematsu and me. Too many notes. I removed about 60% of it all and concluded that was a bit too much, so I started re-editing some stuff here and there untill I came to what I consider the final version.

Ill people don’t need care 24/7, just a couple of minutes every few hours. Still I had to stay home, just in case something came up. So I had loads of spare time on my hands. I used that time to produce a few compositions and arrangements, one of which is this one. I hope you enjoy it.

Uub.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Dancing Mad (part 1)" [ff6-314a.spc]

Opening sounds REALLY similar to the original; tempo, instrumentation, tone. With that said, I was patiently waiting for the arrangement to go beyond "sonic upgrade". The intro's stretched out a little compared to the original, but more could have been done with it as far as interpretation or personalization.

1:39 tackled the :54 section of the original with a much gentler strings and winds approach. This was probably the most interpretive aspect of the arrangement, with that section eventually giving way to a nice crescendo around 2:42 before moving onto the next section. Transition at 3:29 wasn't smooth at all though.

The mix's intro was basically rehashed verbatim at 4:13 but with added drum rolls. Just kinda chugs along with the rinse-and-repeat of the intro and simply peters out at 5:06. Wha? Why end it like that? Pretty weak way to conclude the piece; there had to have been several more creative ways to end it.

The orchestration is fairly decent. It's sparse and lacking in power at times when compared to energy of the writing, but a more interpretive arrangement wouldn't have any trouble getting by with these sounds and this level of production. Straight up, there needs more interpretation or personalization brought to the table. IMO, the feel is too similar to the original. Sorry, Uub. It's not a bad track, but it's hard to reconcile with the standards.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

The samples are not hot, generally, but you don't need better ones to pass. Sample USAGE however could be better. Some of the sequencing is rather mechanical, as is the playing. Use more automation to control dynamics and expression of the sounds. Also, try picking up some nice soundfonts off hammersound and layering them with what you have. I'm pretty sure there are better piano and harp SFs than the sounds you are using here (Garritan?) At 1:40 flutes sound like they have some weird phasing stuff going on. Might want to check that also. Also, the articulations of the sounds could be better. 2:51 for example just sounds REALLY mechanical and lame - need some powerful staccato or marcato samples there.

I hear some variation in the arrangement. However, it's close to the original for a lot of the time. Perhaps too close. Plus, the instrumentation is not far off either. I would try to branch out more with your own ideas, and play with the rhythm and melody with the original. Adding new harmonies or re-harmonizing is a good place to start. Also, as Larry said, the ending is kinda weak as it's kind of a rehash of the earlier section.

Not quite at the bar, but not far off. Resub would be cool.

NO

glad you finally finished this - a year and a half is a long time to work on a single arrangement

the arrangement is very close to the original during many stretches. i can't blame you because the source is one of the best pieces of music from that game but still, this is a theme that has been abused over the years and something fresh is most definetly in need.

the samples are weak. i am not one to talk as i am guilty of killing good music with terrible sounds. zircon said it best; you can do quite a bit with even the SF2's at hammersound. i suggest lookin into that to help some of that mechanical delivery become more human.

in a nutshell, while it is nice to listen to once... it doesn't offer anything that is unique to this particular delivery of it... not in terms of arrangement, orchestration, presentation or in concept. just put more of you in it, work some on the instrumentation and change up the interpretation of the source and you should be alright

for now

NO