OCR04064 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "A Toadstool Mix..."

Rexy

Straightforward but effective.  A lot of it is pretty conservative structurally, but the composition is a bit more than that, especially in the second half.  The Ballad of the Wind Fish cameo worked really nicely.  The bass line is a bit repetitive, but does get switched up a little from time to time.  I'm on board.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/09/12 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1Y) "A Toadstool Mix..."
  • 3 weeks later...

The interpretation is excellent right off the bat.  You adapted the source to a swing-time feel, there's a cheeky Ballad of the Windfish cameo in there, and Gregory's use of a clarinet countermelody effectively works well against the more prominent flute lead. There have been enough shake-ups with drum layers going in and out along with the variety of leads - but there's also a lot of repeated riffs at the same time, especially across the guitar and accordion parts. Thankfully, the source's transformations did more than enough to put that aside as a minor distraction and more of a caution to work on for future work.

I find the sound design on this one to be intriguing, too - no instrument is clashing with another, but there's a lot of room freed up in the middle-rights for Gregory's wind instrumentation to take prominence. This gap in the sound design does feel quirky, but I consider this a by-product of a more devoted setup between fewer instruments.

This track certainly has its moments, but it's got evident manipulations, some of Reuben's tightest performances yet, Gregory's usual steady woodwind work and a tightly produced package - all of these qualities being more than enough to see it on the front page in my book. Let's go.

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/09/12 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "A Toadstool Mix..."
  • 4 weeks later...

hey, this is a pretty charming little piece. it's a fun combo of instruments, nothing's too overpowering (although i wouldn't have minded if the flute was a little farther back in the mix), and the overall feel is really organic. i enjoyed the shout-out to the windfish. if anything, i'd love to hear even more exploration on the melody and backing parts. it does feel like it's the same thing through a few times, although there's more going on than that.

nice work reuben! this is an enjoyable remix.

YES

As soon as that bassline started with the altered rhythm, I knew I'd enjoy this approach. Onto the negative first. I wasn't a fan of the rising notes from 1:17-1:42; it got used three times (also at 2:30 & 3:29) and always felt like a static, overlong section that should have had something else involved to spice it up. I agreed that the flute was piercing, but not enough of an issue to hold it back. Agreed with the bassline ultimately becoming too repetitive, but there was enough development to this arrangement to mitigate that issue. That said, those were all more minor things while the overall arrangement and performances were well-executed. Chill, laid-back jazzy goodness all around. :-)

YES