Name of game(s) arranged: Megaman X2
Name of arrangement: Wires of Sponges
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wire Sponge Theme

Artists involved:
tibone
Sean Leffer
Max Noel

About the song:
This started as a remix of Wire Sponge for the Pixel Mixers MMX Tribute Album "Mavericks of Destruction". I started arranging it as fusion-ish track, but the arrangement evolved into this more elaborate one after i invited Max Noel to play the bass and Sean did this great electric violin solo. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this source just ain't in the pantheon of renowned MMX tracks; all my time in this scene and I'd literally never heard this theme, let alone Wire Sponge as a boss. Color me surprised.

Solid cover here that altered the tempo and rhythms compared to the original to present a new feel to this. The arrangement isn't groundbreaking, but it isn't meant to be. Despite the abrupt (but perfectly valid) ending, it's a good listen the whole way through. Count it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/01/20 - (1Y) Mega Man X2 "Wires of Sponges"
  • 1 month later...

Smooth. Enjoy the rendition here. Things initially felt a bit cover-ish, but there’s enough extra stuff tossed in as we go along to alleviate that. Solo at 1:30 is great. Arrangement introduces different instruments every now and then to play portions of the theme, which is a nice touch. Things are well mixed here, with not much in the way of clarity issues. The second half and outro felt like a bit of a retread but I didn’t mind how things cut short suddenly at the end. Overall a relatively good performance, with some interesting ideas thrown in. Nice job.

YES

It's a simplistic take - two variations with the electric violin solo between them, and going back to the intro and A section for a sudden ending.  But there are indeed some subtle variations to keep things refreshing.  Firstly, credit to Max for the bass riffs in each intro use (0:00-0:28, 1:13-1:26, 2:23-2:36) being completely different.  Secondly, both theme variations had completely separate leads, and the rhythm guitars handled their roles differently - sustained strums in the first, and more concentrated and muted ones in the second.  The only elements that kept more of a stagnant role were the bass's use outside the intro and your drum groove outside of all of the different fills, and those are needed to support all the different parts riding on top.  It's not a detailed interpretation, but this setup didn't need it.

It's a good presentation too.  All performers are on point with clean recordings and accurate performances as well.  The balance is tight and has very few stick-outs, though I would've preferred a small mid-high cut on your mellow lead (0:59-1:13) not to make it pierce as much.  Some further clarity between your brass and rhythm guitars would've also been nice to have, but that's more of a nitpick.

Nevertheless, it's a pleasant and coherently produced no-brainer submission with enough textural variations to keep it afloat.  And by listening to the track, it's also made me realize how far you've progressed creatively since your first ever Dwelling of Duels submission 16 years ago - very astounding.  Aside from other guest appearances, I hope the next track you send won't take another 16!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/01/20 - (3Y) Mega Man X2 "Wires of Sponges"

Good stuff, everything in here is clicking nicely! Production is tight, there's certainly an appropriate, if subtle, level of interpretation over the original, and the live performances add some extra flair to push it comfortably over the bar. You never sit too long on a single lead instrument either, which keeps this fresh at every turn. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/01/20 - *YES - TAG* Mega Man X2 "Wires of Sponges"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04139 - *YES* Mega Man X2 "Wires of Sponges"
  • Rexy locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic