OCR04162 - *YES* Golden Sun "Force of Nature"

Rexy

Hi ocremix team,

I would like to submit a piece of music I recently composed.
It is my first submission to this site.

I'm known as: Mental
I have a bandcamp as my website: 
https://mentalpainmusic.bandcamp.com/  

The name is: Force of Nature
Rearranged from the game: Golden Sun (GBA)
TItle: The Elemental Stars

Kind regards and stay safe,

Ly

• 1 month later...

There's no shortage of Golden Sun remixes to have graced the site lately, but what harm could one more do? Let's see what you've got here.

Right off the bat, I'm loving your piano tone and the subtle string articulations. You're clearly working with some powerhouse sample libraries here, but you've wielded them to great effect. As things progress, you continue to develop a lush soundscape that transforms the Elemental Stars motif into something stirring and transcendent. The high string legatos particularly gave me chills, and the use of kit drums along with orchestral percussion was unexpected but very cool. This is a short arrangement, but what you do in a limited time is actually staggering - this would feel right at home in the extended cinematic trailer for a hypothetical big-screen Golden Sun adaptation.

Extremely professional sounding take that should be right at home on our site. Fabulous job!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/04/25 - (1Y) Golden Sun "Force of Nature"

Holy cow this is lovely and what a HUGE soundscape.  I love the delayed piano that plays throughout, it mirrors the source well while being unique.  I would prefer that the reverb/delay would have some of the lows cut out of them though, as low reverb tends to create mud.  I'm not sure what the instrument at 0:26 is, is it a brass instrument, if so it sounds quite fake.  The choir patch is nice though, and the strings sound realistic. When the drums come in at 1:21, the soundscape opens up beautifully.  My only complaints are that the arrangement is on the short side, and that there is a bit of low-mid mud in the mixing from the reverb/delay on the piano.  But I love this anyway.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2020/04/25 - (2Y) Golden Sun "Force of Nature"

Things start out with a piano with light string backing. At 0:47 things start to build up with a choir which becomes the main event that carries through the rest of the mix. The accompanying orchestral soundscape builds up over time, creating a different vibe to the original. It’s short and sweet, certainly leaving everyone wanting more. With decent mixing and solid additions, it’s a shame things couldn’t go longer, but a great little piece nonetheless.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/04/25 - (3Y) Golden Sun "Force of Nature"

There's something about this particular source and short arrangements.  It's somehow a working formula, and this track is no different.  The interpretation of the theme is incredible - you've kept the bell backing as it is but brought everything else into half-time, and that just made it evolve into a more cinematic character.  The build into the soprano at 1:21 served as a great climax, keeping the familiar arpeggio and B section's chord structure while letting the articulations move the pace along.  Like Kris and Joel, I would've wanted another minute with particularly an exploration of the C section, which went unused otherwise - but the handling of the source here is still more than enough.

Regarding the mixdown, barely anything sticks out and blends into anything else, and your articulations, reverb and delay have been used to significant effect in bringing out the instruments' strengths.  Said parts are some lovely sounding samples for the most part, with a generous layering of ensemble patches for your backing textures.  Though, just like Kris, the trumpet patch at 0:26 doesn't sound as convincing as the rest of the ensemble and could've had some extra layers itself - yet, it got used briefly enough not to impact the full scope.

Ultimately, the track does its job in bringing a brief yet well-polished arrangement that would fit right at home on the silver screen.  If this is your first sub, Ly, then I'm more than curious to know how you'd follow it up - excellent job!

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/04/25 - *YES - TAG* Golden Sun "Force of Nature"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04162 - *YES* Golden Sun "Force of Nature"
  • Rexy locked this topic