Remixer Name: Faseeh, Joshua Kruszyna
Email address: 
User ID: 3038027669

Game arranged: Sonic Unleashed
Name of arrangement: Adabat's Sunset Speedway
Name of individual song arranged: Jungle Joyride - Night
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Hey OCRemix! Been a while, haha.

Sonic Unleashed is a game I admired greatly. I pretty much got a console just to play it when I was young. I've loved 'Jungle Joyride - Night' since I first heard it. The track perfectly fits the level, with the serene sunset view, waterfalls and jungle depths. It feels melancholic and yet calming. 

This arrangement is filled with Jungle (hah) influences. Just like my last submission of Spider Dance in 2017, this is a Rock N' Bass track too. Sonic music is filled with awesome rock guitars and the Daytime levels in Unleashed featured lots of DnB/Breakbeat influences so flipping this track into this style just felt right. Just picture Sonic boosting through the level. 

I'm glad to have Joshua (formerly known as EXShad) on this track. He's a joy to work with and we've been friends for quite a few years. Felt like making an unapologetic banger, hope we succeeded! Thank you. 

Good to see unleashed get some love, and nice choice in source. Things start off fairly minimal, with a solid kick and piano providing the main lead. The snare is a bit hollow. The guitar at 0:47 was a bit soft, but I understand it’s not the main event. Electric guitar takes over soon after at 0:59, which sounded nice, and didn’t overstay its welcome. Good work so far. The break at 1:22 was appreciated and a nice temporary change of pace. The arrangement here changes quite a lot over time, with a good variety of instruments taking over lead duties, with areas not feeling verbatim revisited. The guitar at 2:11 is quite soft again, but doesn’t play for too long on its own. The electric guitar solo at 2:36 sounded good, with some nice wails and variation in notes, as it mirrors the main theme to take us out. Production is ok, mixing could be improved on some parts (the leads were a little soft) but nothing alarming to me here. Nice neat little mix. Well done.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/06/13 - (1Y) Sonic Unleashed "Adabat's Sunset Speedway"
  • 2 weeks later...

Yessss. I know I can always count on Faseeh to lay down high-energy electronic bangers with just the right amount of smooth. This is no different - the mix of various organic timbres with a pounding D&B beat makes for quite a satisfying soundscape. The live guitar adds an appropriate level of expressiveness to the melody. Conceptually, this feels quite natural despite taking some detours off the beaten path, so great work there!

If I had to ding this track for anything, it's that the elements in the track feel largely unglued from each other. I feel that stronger compression overall would help flesh out your mix. The levels, as Joel alluded to, also feel imbalanced to a certain degree - I found myself wanting to hear more in the way of high-frequency percussion as the track went on to ramp up the energy level, and the guitar lead feels relatively quiet compared to the rest of the track. In general, it doesn't feel like you're fully optimizing the space you have in the mix. 

That said, I acknowledge that I might be judging this by a higher-energy standard, whereas something like this might be totally appropriate when viewed from the lens of a liquid D&B track, for example, where negative space is a staple of the genre. To answer your rhetorical statement from the submission letter, I think this could have been even more of an unapologetic banger, but what you have here is still quite enjoyable and I'm okay signing off as-is. Nice job!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/06/13 - (2Y) Sonic Unleashed "Adabat's Sunset Speedway"
  • 2 weeks later...

Faseeh, I love you.  This source is my favorite track in the game, and I'm so happy to see someone arrange it! :D

Arrangement-wise, it's one loop (minus the crazy piano solo, thank goodness) with some neat tricks thrown in.  You established a modified chord structure straight away, and this choice fits so well with the first melody lines and those from the break at 1:24 onwards.  Joshua's guitar part at 1:00 also added in some harmonies not present in the source, and the plucked synth at 1:12 changed up the pitches of the original's piano descent to better fit the established chords.  You also kept the B section's reprise at 2:12 refreshed with the throbbing bass and the gate effects on Joshua's guitar - a minimal way to vary things up, but it works well enough.  The guitar kept its momentum to the end with a rad solo and returned to the A section for one big finish.  All in all, enough happened with the writing outside of the brisker genre adaptation to match it on par with previous works.

Now, I felt unsure about the production values.  On the one hand, the mixdown is firm without needing to be too loud, Joshua's guitar part is tight and cleanly recorded, and there's some fun effect work on the transitions as well.  I'm okay with the guitar's volume - it's more than enough for me to hear it along the rest of the instruments.   On the other hand, there is a light fuzz to the render that gets more noticeable when the distorted bass is in play, plus the EQ shaping on the entire track feels bass-heavy (as expected for DnB).  Therefore, it doesn't have a lot going on in the higher frequencies for a good chunk of the duration.  Transposing some of your backing parts up an octave could've helped with breathing room here, but the separation of components is still serviceable as it is.

Ultimately, this is one of those tracks that has a good presentation and a more stellar interpretation.  And in classic Faseeh fashion, it feels both fast-paced and chilled out at the same time, and no doubt something to start winding down a DJ set.  Great teamwork between the pair of you!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/06/13 - (3Y) Sonic Unleashed "Adabat's Sunset Speedway"
  • 1 month later...

oh, great source choice, and great genre choice for the remix. 

i really love the vibe throughout this track. it's got the high-energy presentation combined with chilled synths that you'd expect from liquid dnb, and faseeh does a great job mixing in the guitar elements without losing that grounding. there's source throughout and it's well-handled each time it comes up. i agree with emunator that a higher-compression mix wouldn't have been a bad thing, but overall this is just a rubber stamp for a great track.

rubber stamp go. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/06/13 *YES - TAG* Sonic Unleashed "Adabat's Sunset Speedway"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04198 - *YES* Sonic Unleashed "Adabat's Sunset Speedway"