*NO* Superman (GEN) "Stage 5"

Rexy

If the track passes, it will need a new title.
-Rexy

Contact Info:
My Remixer Name: DJ Dizzy
User ID: 37095

Submission Info:
Name of game: Superman
Name of the song arranged: Stage 5 music
Additional Info: it's the stage 5 music from Hudson Soft's Superman for Sega Genesis/MegaDrive.  It's a re-imagining.  I've always loved this stage's music.  I've been using synthesizers for 14 years and making music for longer.  I wanted to take a stab at remixing it in my own style.  It's my first time remaking a video game's music.  I used Ableton Live and hardware synths (primarily Access Virus TI Polar, Moog SubPhatty, Roland JP-8000) but also made some sounds with Spectrasonics Omnisphere using vintage synth oscillators as waveforms (Roland Juno 6, Roland Jupiter-8).  It was mastered with iZotope Ozone, TAL-Chorus-LX for widening on some tracks, and Ableton's compressor/EQ/limiter.

(starts at 22:54)

some fun fm-style synths to start out the track. the melody is recognizable right away, and the drums are nice and tight early on. the first presentation of the melody is a bit weird, because there's this huge sub-bass, the drums, a melody, and a moving countermelody, but no real obvious pad or anything to help hold it together. it feels a bit empty as a result. also at this point it becomes obvious that there's only really one drum loop being used and then a different one for fills, and that's it.

there's a break that's needed and we get back into it at 1:40 or so. there's some more complexity in the mids here which helps. 1:56 is the melodic content again, and again this is very 'hollow'-feeling, with no supporting pads in the mids and the melody several octaves above most of the other synths. 

there's another break at 2:54 for a while, and there's a bit more exploration here before it comes back up for a final bit at 3:15 that sounds more like a transition to a new song in a set more than anything else, and then a fadeout. this ending is pretty not-great for a standalone track.

from a mastering side, the cymbals and highs especially in the drumset are very bright compared to the rest of it. the bass is also very present, but it's worth noting most of the beef is in what i'd call sub-bass frequency so it might not speak on everyone's headphones or speakers.

overall i think this one needs a bit of workshopping. i liked what it was doing - there's some fun countermelodies going on, i liked the feel of the drum groove initially, and the synth choice is fun. there's a bunch of simple-to-fix missteps, though, like not scooping the mastering so hard, or filling out the middle of the frequency range a bit with some pads, updating the drums so they're not the same loop for 3.5 minutes, and adding some body to the lead synth so it's not quite so thin up high where it is (or dropping it an octave). this has some fun ideas but it's not there yet.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/11/09 - (1N) Superman (GEN) "Stage 5"

Man, this theme kicks ass. Don't dig the chorus as much, but the verses are really the hook. Really beefy sound for 16-bit.

Checking out the submission here, the opening immediately sounded cluttered once things were adding into the picture at :15 and became even more crowded. I can make out the melody but it's nonetheless pushed behind the beats, so IMO the mixing is imbalanced; there's too much high-end and the melodic lead needs to be more upfront. prophetik had very thorough production comments to keep in mind as well

This has good energy, but at 1:55, you essentially have a cut-and-paste going on all the way until 3:07, starting with :29's section, which left the track underdeveloped and overly repetitive. So it's not just the beats being repetitive, it's everything just being rinsed and repeated wholesale for an extra minute; some changes in the leads, textures, or beat-writing would have allowed this not to drag on.

Great foundation here, Kris. Between introducing more varied writing and improving the mixing, this definitely has what it takes to be raises above the bar and get passed in some form. Loads of potential here!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/11/09 - (2N) Superman (GEN) "Stage 5"
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick co-sign on what the two gentlemen above have stated - there's a lot of great stuff going on here. The groove is fun, and you're tapping into a wide variety of synths that all sound great together, tonally. However, the mixing definitely needs a second pass to ensure that the right elements of the song are coming through at the right times. There's plenty of times where I can't tell what instrument is intending to be the lead melody because all of the melodic elements are mixed around the same volume level.

I like the sound of your sub bass, but I'm not sure if it's filling out quite the right frequency range - it sounds strangely detached from the rest of the track. I think Brad is onto something by recommending some additional element to pad out the low-mid range and glue the bass/drums in with the rest of your instrumentation. 

Right now, there's some great tones and writing at work here, but it's not clicking quite yet. I'd love to see a second pass of this with the mixing tightened up and something new added to the second half to ease up on the direct repetition. Great start!

NO (resubmit)

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* Superman (GEN) "Stage 5"