*NO* Pokémon Diamond Version "Spacetime Overture"

Emunator

Dear Judges at OCRemix,

heres is my new submission. Hope you like it!

Contact Info

Remixer & real Name: Chris Kohler

Email: 

Userid: 34798

Submission Info:

Game: https://ocremix.org/game/635/pokemon-diamond-version-nds

Name of arrangement: Spacetime Overture

Original Song: Opening Movie

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/09/19 - Pokémon Diamond Version "Spacetime Overture"
  • 2 months later...

Odd little source tune; cool, but odd composition for the first 30 seconds before settling into a nice reprise. Lots of tension in the original, so I'm curious to see if it's retained in the arrangement.

String articulations were definitely too exposed as very fake in the intro from :30-:42; obviously, everything here's sequenced and there are similar realism issues with the brass and vox as well, then the piano sounding pretty bad with its cameo from 1:49-1:50. Aside from those issues, the instrumentation was serviceable and above the quality bar; the smaller detail/realism issues do needlessly ding this though.

Structurally, this could stand apart more from the original vis-a-vis our arrangement/interpretation standards; this does have a somewhat different tone than the source because it's not beat-driven, and there's additive orchestration to help flesh this out and present somewhat different texturally, but this orchestration nonetheless doesn't feel interpretive enough when you listen side-by-side with the source.

It's a solid orchestral cover approach, but I'd love to hear some additional ideas (either interpretive or wholly original) to help complement this. That said, the concept just seems to be a straightforward orchestration approach and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it just isn't a fit with the level of  interpretation we're looking for. Good stuff, Chris, and if you're willing to revisit this, I'm sure you could add to or expand on this in a way that could get it above OCR's bar. No matter what, looking forward to what you've got cooking in the future.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/09/19 - (1N) Pokémon Diamond Version "Spacetime Overture"

It's true that it's an overly conservative approach, although it's a well-done orchestration.

The sample quality, though, is really not great.  The strings especially are super fake, and the horns aren't much better.  The vocals and bass play bit parts but still prominently falls short (and the bass is really loud during its solo).  The attack on the strings are also slightly slow, putting it behind the beat in places.

There's room for improvement on the production front, too.  There's no presence in the highs; the flutes sound like they've had the highs cut out, and the cymbals are nearly inaudible.  Sounds to me like the sub-bass might be filtered a bit too much, too, but I'm not listening on studio cans and it's hard for me to tell for sure.

Thanks for the submission, and it's pretty good for what it is, but I do think this needs more than an interpretive expansion to pass here.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/09/19 - (2N) Pokémon Diamond Version "Spacetime Overture"

agree that the overall sample quality isn't great. my main issue is also the very slow string attack, but the mastering struggles too in a few ways - notably that the electric bass is totally divorced from the soundscape of the orchestra, and the orchestra feels pretty blah since it's all mashed down with no highs. from a writing standpoint, it's a lot of wall-of-sound sustains in the orchestra under the melody. that's not really an arrangement so much as a realization. it's also effectively 1:20 of music with an extended intro and outro, so even if there was a lot of good content, it's over so quickly you can't process it.

there's some fun ideas going on but nothing really stands out. i think this needs more workshopping.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to *NO* Pokémon Diamond Version "Spacetime Overture"