Chaos Fruity Collab111!

Nase

i dunno. can anyone chime in on musyng being really good? it's pretty big (1 GB).

i'm a soundfont fan, but i'd rather keep the rules simple until multiple people express a desire to use a specific GM sf2.

what's your favorite GM sf2, everyone??

i think only using a single GM .sf2 is a very good rule. but the question is, which one? many GM .sf2s in the 200mb region offer some good piano sounds, for example, but ideally the sounds should be good across the board.

your opinions, please.

edit: i''ll download musyng sometime later today...i'm always somewhat interested in cool comprehensive soundbanks. but i only have cellphone internet, so it'll be a while.

can you wait with SF2 uSAge UNTIL your NeXT Turn, audiomancer? i'd rather wait WIth picking A really cool all around sf2, and do some teStS myself. a lot of these huge sOuNdFOntS AREN'T necessaRiLY ALL around better than smaller ones - there's always some duds In thEre, and it's more about the care put into editing each specific sound, than size. the coolness about the SouNDFOnT IDEa IS thaT everyone can attempt to polish the hell out of the same GENEral midi sounds anD make them sound next level - for that, it's best to start with 128 sounds that are consisTENTly decent to begin with.

but i like the idea a lot to begin with - composing with a single GM bank is a lot like composing for games, in the old days.

(sorry, my new keyboard iS acting real funny. it's too much work to ediT ouT THE caps.)

Edited by Nase

oh yeah....i'm very sorry audiomanca! ...but i just found out that there's an actual Chaos.sf2!

https://github.com/surikov/webaudiofontdata/blob/master/sf2/Chaos.sf2

very sorry, but we have to officially take that one.

(yeah, it's only 12 MB, i know. but it's called CHAOS.sf2 ffs!!!!!! too good to pass up.)

Ho boy, hope i didnt kill it.

Audiomancer’s calmer section seemed a good segueway into something (anything) different. Could’ve picked up on that. I spose i was just happy i had a little creative burst. But we’ll see.

another thing, folks….how do you feel about doing something similar, but a vg remix? That’d be one way to tie everything together more easily!

Coolio! Yeah, just grab it. Myself, i waited with claiming my turn until i did something for half an hour and was sure enough i could finish it; but as long as we don’t have a definite rotation or permanent waiting list, there’s really no perfect way to go about this.

funny you’re taking a liking to the chaos soundfont! In all honesty, i wasn’t that impressed with it, i was simply amused by the name, because my naming of the collab was also purely chaotic.

that said, good old GM soundbanks are a wonderfully rich and deep subject; i think you cannot truly estimate the goodness of one, unless you have made some actual music with it. It’s like with the old Snes and N64 OSTs….the sounds have to gel nicely as a whole, and that’s partly down to the given sounds, and partly down to the magic you work.

:)

• 4 weeks later...