Chimpazilla

Your ReMixer name: Pixel Pirates
Your real name: Tobaunta Torkelsson & Fredrik Vinterstjärna
Your email address: 

Your website: pixelpirates.nu
Your userid: 37469 

Name of game(s) arranged: Megaman X
Name of arrangement: Pixelman X
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Stage Start - Storm Eagle - Spark Mandrill - Boomer Kuwanger - Launch Octopus - Zero's Theme - Ending 

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: Megaman X is one of my most played games from my childhood and really could not deside on what song from the game I would remix so desided to make a medley styled remix with a collections of my favorite songs from the game and it is a lot.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/25 - Mega Man X "Pixelman X"

We've got a few issues going on here.

The lead synth, which never changes, is really unpleasant with how buzzy it sounds.  It's like 1/3 note, 2/3 white noise.  The other instruments are better, but they're also pretty bland.  The kick is really loud and boomy.

As for the arrangement, it's a medley.  We don't necessarily reject medleys out of hand, but they do need to be unified in some way, and not just several tracks joined end-to-end.  This is the latter.  Transitions range from sudden to jarring, and there's nothing connecting them except the sound palette.  Sometimes they even change keys.

There are errors in the transcription, as well.  The last measure of the stage intro at the beginning is a semitone high.  I thought I caught one or two other mistakes as well.

Sorry, but this is really not what we're looking for.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/07/25 - (1N) Mega Man X "Pixelman X"
  • 2 weeks later...

seven tracks in three minutes? this better be incredible.

the initial synth is not enjoyable to listen to as anything other than a pad with an lfo filter on it. the kick is big and fat, but the associated bass instrument sounds pretty weak, and the rest of what the drums are playing is essentially a loop for each individual track.

there are no transitions, little to no changes for each theme, only one run-through of the melodic content for each theme, the same transition sound for many of the transitions...at least there's a break at 2:18 with some (one) new instruments. oh man, and there's even a fadeout for an ending!

i think paneling this one was pretty generous. this needs a ton of work on the arrangement side. functional transitions, transformative arrangements of each work, and some new synth choices are a must. this is on autopilot way too much to be considered.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/07/25 - (2N) Mega Man X "Pixelman X"

Especially having played MMX back in the day, I enjoy the track in a vacuum. For OCR standards though, none of the segments/source tunes of this arrangement are developed, it's mostly brief snippets of each with very basic genre adaptation behind it via the dance beats, which themselves were barren and relatively unvaried.

I liked the transition at 2:18 though, which was a nice bit moving into the final section with the ending theme. The last section also happened to be the longest a source tune was used, though that also wasn't developed beyond a very basic genre adaptation.

As it notes in the Submission Standards:

3. Acceptable Source Material

2. Submissions incorporating more than one source are allowed, but are not given special consideration or leniency with regard to the submission standards.
* Your submission will only be assigned to a single game in our database, regardless of how many games' music it contains.
* Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

There's no development of the themes nor any cohesion in the structure. I do dig it, but the textures and production were too basic, and the source tunes were just invoked briefly and stitched together without any transitions. Therefore, it's not for us. No worries though, gentlemen; keep on submitting more material, and we know you'll be back on the front page!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Mega Man X "Pixelman X"