*NO* Tetris "Crazy Tetrominos"

Chimpazilla

hello,
I'm French and don't speak English very well, this is my third submission, I hope my request is correct. Thanks

Link to my submission :

Re Mixer : Onirik Dreamer
email :
Link of vidéoclip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8uT54Ajfsk
user id : 38210

Name of game arranged : Tetris (Nintendo GameBoy)
Name of original track : Theme A (composed by Hirokazu Tanaka)
Name of my track : Crazy Tetrominos OD remix
Additional information about game : Nintendo 1989 (GameBoy)
Link to the original soundtrack :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc9ATIE17GA
Your own comments about the mix : I love this piece and I wanted to add electronic and dynamic, cool and energic touch to it, i hope you like it.

Fairly straightforward chippy EDM take on the Tetris theme.  A bit of orchestra in the intro, but it's crushed to the point where it's hard to call it "orchestral."

It's a little repetitive, with 0:38-0:53 looped at 1:40-1:54. 1:24-1:38 is pretty close to that, too.  I wouldn't normally call out 14-second loops for being repetitive, but this whole track is only 2:12 long, so 28 seconds of repetition is 20% of the track.

The very short length and the abruptly cut-off ending combine with the repetition to make the track as a whole feel underdeveloped.  What's there sounds good, but it sounds more like a proof of concept than a complete work.

This is borderline for me.  The production quality is there, though the intro is a little crunchy, and the whole thing peaks at +0.2dB (though I don't hear any distortion myself).  The approach is fine.  It's fun.  No one thing (the repetition, the length, the ending) is itself a dealbreaker, but the package makes the track seem incomplete.  I'm going to mull this one over a bit more.

Edit: Since Gario echoed my sentiment exactly, even though I'm willing to give more leeway to the production of the main body, I'll lock down my vote.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/07/28 - (1?) Tetris "Crazy Tetrominos"

The production values on this aren't great since they're hot and loud, but they're not something that sinks the track. The orchestral portion has it's sections drown one another out, though; it's hard to hear the strings behind the brass and synths, though; it could use a better balance in the mix so it's easier to hear everything, and fixing the master so that it's not so hot on the levels would certainly help since I do hear it limiting the overall track.

As for the arrangement, it sounds like this is the beginning of a track rather than a complete idea. The synths sounding out of the box, nothing added to the source outside of the opening and chords, the aforementioned repetition, and the short and sudden ending all make this sound like the beginnings of an idea for a Tetris remix rather than a complete arrangement. It's the form that's contributing to this sounding incomplete - it has a 38 second opening (29% of the track), and it has what sounds like two variations of a single section (0:38 - 1:24 and 1:24 - 2:12). Where's the rest of the track?

It's a good start, and it certainly could become something really cool, but at the moment it sounds like an opening and a first section. It needs a middle and an ending, at the very least, if you want the listeners to leave satisfied. The hot production and mixing should also be fixed, but the main hold-up is the arrangement and it's imbalanced opener and two sections that are slight variations of one another. I'd also suggest making sure if these vanilla synths are what you really want out of this arrangement, too, as they stand out as pretty basic synths that could be literally anything else, but that's up to you of course.

NO

• Gario changed the title to 2022/07/28 - (1N/1?) Tetris "Crazy Tetrominos"
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/07/28 - (2N) Tetris "Crazy Tetrominos"
  • 2 weeks later...

extremely hot intro. the orchestral taikos/toms are absolutely overwhelming the poor limiter. there is a lot of pumping on the intro section.

there's a significant tonal shift at 0:31, and the subsequent instrumentation is fun but also very loud. there's some personalization in that next 30 seconds, although not a ton. there's a 'break' section at 1:09 or so, and we get another playthrough of the melodic content...and then there's a (also very loud) harpsichordy outro, and that's that.

rubber stamping gario here. this is a great tech demo but there's another minute or two of mix missing.

NO