*NO* Metroid Prime "Industrial Overworld"

Emunator

Hoboka
Remix Title: Industrial Overworld
Game: Metroid Prime
Source: Overworld 2
Composer: Kenji Yamomoto or Kouichi Kyuma
Description:
Did a faithful industrial-styled remix with damage drums and I used AIR Hybrid 3 for the whistle synth, whistle choir from Omnisphere and Poject Exodus for the Pads.  Can't recall the other libraries I used.  Hope you guys dig it!  

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Very conservative arrangement here.  The sound palette is very similar overall, with similar industrial backing instruments and a similar theremin lead.  The remix does condense the theme to focus more on the melodic elements and less on the interstitial ones, but overall the sound and feel hew closely to the original.  The fade-in intro and fade-out ending add to the feeling of being ripped directly from a game.  Overall this comes across as more of a remake than a remix.

It's an enjoyable listen, and the production quality is top-notch, but all in all I think this falls short on interpretation for us.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/08/30 - (1N) Metroid Prime "Industrial Overworld"
  • 1 month later...

intro feels a ton like the intro to the first track on Relics of the Chozo, that's a fun reference.

the intro bass sounds pretty generic. i'd encourage you to add some space and a bit of treble especially so it's not so guttural. there's a lot of overlap around 1:00 with the low airy synths as well.

the entire section at 1:08 feels really similar to the original, same timbres and ideas. the break at 1:44 is nice, and i like some of the exploration done there. 2:14's groove coming back actually felt kind of recycled, and would have been an excellent place to mix up the vibe. 2:31 has some differences but feels very similar to the section at 1:08. the fadeout doesn't do this track any favors.

from a mastering perspective, there's a lot of layering in the low mids between the bass and some lower synths. i love the timbre of that low airy synth but it's making mud pies down there.

i'm super on the fence about this one to be honest. i like the whistle synth, the percussion is interesting, and the initial vibe is really fun, but it's hard to hear a remix that's done with similar timbres and similar structure and similar layout and think that it's a totally different work. i think i'm just slightly on the negative side here. i think it's just too close for our standards. it's a nice track to listen to outside of the nits that i mentioned, just doesn't fulfill the arrangement requirements.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/08/30 - (2N) Metroid Prime "Industrial Overworld"

Cool source, faithful remix for sure.  Too faithful.  Too heavy on the conservative side with similar bass and lead writing, similar soundscape overall, same theramin-type lead, and the arrangement is nearly verbatim most of the way through, including the breakdown.  The soundscape and production sound very good nonetheless.  Track seems to be missing its final limiter as the peak goes all the way up to 3db at the loudest point.  I really like this and I could see it working if the lead and/or bass writing had more original sections, and if the soundscape changed up at some point to really set it aside from the original.  I agree that the fade-in and fade-out only add to the too-conservative feel of the piece.  Make some changes here or there and add some original soloing somewhere, replace the lead instrument with something less similar to the original, and I'd love to hear this one again.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/08/30 - (3N) Metroid Prime "Industrial Overworld"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Metroid Prime "Industrial Overworld"