OCR04423 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"

Chimpazilla

ReMixer Name: Rux Ton
ReMix Title: Club Lavender (Theme Of Lavender Town, Composed by Junichi Masuda )
E-Mail: 
My Page: www.flowcode.com/page/rux_ton

My Userid: 33757

Hi there! My name is Rux Ton (Dustin St. John) and I remixed Lavender Town from Pokemon Red (Or Blue, but I had Red growing up). Its kind of surreal for me to be sending this e-mail actually because I have been following OCRemix ever since i was 8 years old (I am 30 now) and I was inspired by so many incredible artists here to the point where I wanted to make music and start remixing! In the beginning my work wasn't that good and MEGA shoutouts to the community for being so nice to me and I actually was told by someone who was a mod (the name has completely left me unfortunately but I hope you know that your advice was the best advice I was ever given) to start working on originals to help develop a style because I was struggling with that at the time.
So with "Club Lavender", a slightly generic name I must admit, seems to be the only fitting title for this. I actually have struggled with ever wanting to make a remix again because I got really into making "EDM" music and this whole identity I created for myself was making heavy bass music. After a while I realized its a little hard to just shoe-horn a videogame melody into this kind of music and I didn't think its something i'd be able to do. But because of that I finally one day made it a challenge and this was the result! These days I make a lot of Speed House and Hard Dance music. This track very much so touches on my roots of what I used to make when I was much younger and this project started to feel special because I was remembering all of the unique ideas I heard on OCReMix as a kid and how i still have a massive playlist i listen to on the daily (shoutouts to my Wife for not only putting up with this playlist all the time, but for seeking more remixes on here of her favorite songs!)
The real challenge here was realizing that this song has a very interesting melody that can either be destroyed if done wrong, or just sound awkward. I like to think I played it out pretty well. This song features 2 drops (pretty common with this kind of music, because of playing it out when I perform or others, i like to give people options in the form of 2 differing drops.) The first drop is more of an original idea, where I wanted it to be super minimal and eerie just like the original melody was. Drop 2 I wanted to have more familiarity and actually used the infamous Lavender Town arpeggio as the bassline, which I didn't think would work as well as it did but I am very glad I did it! It felt like the missing puzzle piece! All in all I have to say I am pretty proud of this remix, and i'm stoked to be able to share it with you all! Its time to get spooky and to bounce that booty!

Thank you so much for listening, and for reading! I do plan to put this track out, i'd love to see how the judges fair with this and I will time it accordingly if it gets accepted! Originally I had planned to release this on the 29th but I am in no way shape or form married to that date currently.

Shoutouts to all the judges and OCReMix fam! Love you all, have a wonderful day/night!
Love,
Rux Ton

I love me some Lavender Town, and this remix is so weird and cool!  This is a wonderfully eclectic mix of sounds; playful and energetic.  The vocal clips add interest and energy.  The drops are clean and cool, sidechaining is just right.  The master is very loud but I don't hear any overcompression artifacts.  I am slightly concerned about repetition, but as far as I can tell there are variations in the repeated sections.  The two buildups are nearly if not identical.  The drops are also very similar, but not total copy pasta.  I would have preferred that there be even more variation, but what is here works well enough.  This is a fun remix.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (1Y) Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"

Well, this is... definitely not the sort of music I normally listen to.  Takes a bit of work to wrap my head around.

There's actually not much repetition.  There is one notable loop: 0:14-0:54 is repeated at 1:46-2:26.  Also 1:06-1:19 and 2:37-2:52 are nearly copypasta.  A total of 53 seconds out of 3:41, 24% of the arrangement.  Other sections are similar but not identical.  My own rule of thumb is 25%, so this is close, but also a certain amount of repetitiveness is typical for the genre.

Otherwise, everything seems to be on point.  It's remarkably well-produced for club music, though it is quite loud.  The Lavender Town theme is used thoroughly and appropriately; though I honestly don't understand why people love it so much, this is a great use of it.  I can't see any reason to hold this back.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (2Y) Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"
  • 2 weeks later...

Noticeably crunchy & pumping to start until :13. Cool subtle sound design stuff going on underneath to add some omnious sounds into the texture The soundscape's somewhat washed out, but I'm making out the parts fine.

Probably could have done without the "Put your hands in the air" sampling at 1:06, then the next part at 1:20 did sound distorted when the beat came in at 1:23 (and also obscured the melodic line at 1:33, though that was short-lived). A needed changeup happened at 1:46 to drop things out and clear out some clutter. I liked the quiet bubbly line getting pushed up at 2:26.

More of that club chanting sampling, which wasn't my cup of tea and didn't really integrate well; maybe the clips just sounded too low-quality and didn't feel like they were in the same "room" as the music.

More overdriven stuff from 2:56 until the 3:19; IMO, too loud while slightly abrasive, but I can live with it.

There were elements I didn't feel clicked, but Dustin's arrangement is still solid. The theme is meaningfully expanded upon via the instrumentation and denser textures, as well as the original music and audio clip transitions. Creepy club sound achieved! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (3Y) Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"

i love the pkmn blue/red soundtrack but it sounds so bad on youtube. always liked this original though.

neat intro. there's a ton of space given the chords and synths in the beginning and it really sounds great.

the melodic content actually comes in at 0:40. huge amount of sound, intentionally loud and weird, and it sounds great. the piano's a bit quiet, but honestly the intense buzz and strangeness is more the point. there's a monster build that hits on a absolutely mega-ballsy long-attack synth drop at 1:20 that is easily the best thing i've heard in two months. i literally made the ooh yeah face when it hit. i love the lead synth in this section too, it's got just enough envelope manipulation to really make it feel different.

there's another big drop and build at 1:48, with a reduced version of the melody before the swell comes in. the build at 1:55 particularly sounded great, i love the repeated aggressive synth pattern especially after the vox clips come in again.

nice bait and switch on the hit at 2:52 - another short fill into the original's arpeggio as the lead instrument, and then we're into a big falloff for the ending.

mastering sounds great, track is awesome. easy vote.

OOH YEAH

• Liontamer changed the title to (2022/09/14) *YES - TAG* Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04423 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version "Club Lavender"
  • prophetik music locked this topic