Your ReMixer name:       Biggoron
Your real name:                 Logan Tucker
Your email address:        
Your website(s):                               https://biggoron.bandcamp.com/
UserID:                                 38369                       

Name of game(s) arranged:                         Mischief Makers
Name of arrangement:                                  The Floor is Lava
Name of individual songs:                            Volcanic, Opening Title
Additional information about game:       Composed by Norio Hanzawa for Treasure, released on Nintendo 64

Comments:

I leaned heavily into an industrial vibe which gives way to a full blown 90s house vibe. The source material is so catchy and was stuck in my head for weeks after recording. Most instruments were played live on keyboard.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"
  • 1 month later...

Nice gradual transition fron industral synth to more traditional '80s synth pop.  Textures are a bit vanilla, but they're clearly intentionally and consistently so.  The arrangement does a great job of taking the catchy hooks from the original and building on them, including blending the two themes together.  The climax is a little mushy, and the leads could sit a little louder in the mix, but otherwise this is solid stuff.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (1Y) Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"
  • 1 month later...

wow, talk about variety in originals. volcanic has some really dope concepts in it.

love the fat intro sound. i wouldn't mind some compression and volumization on the band sound, but it's a fun sound. the initial lead with the volcanic melody is a bit hard to hear, but is a neat synth choice. the transition between sections is honestly kind of weird, but so's the original, so i get it. this first section through about 0:42 is then repeated with what sounds like little to no change, which is not great. there's a B section that meanders a bit at 1:22, and then we get to a poppy vibe at about 1:42 that's honestly head-bobbing. the hat in the right ear is a bit loud, but this is a great section and i really liked it.

there's a bit of a drop/break at 2:19, and a time change into a faster tempo, complete with flourishes in the keys and big drop before the band comes back in with the opening title material. the remixer wisely doesn't sit on this a lot, but puts another drop to allow it to build to the end rush. the solo at about 3:30 is great and thematically appropriate. from 4:00 out we've got a big blow to the end, and a simple but effective ending.

i was honestly on the fence initially about this simply because the beginning is not volumized super well. however, the second half absolutely changed my mind. this fits very well in the style you chose and the stuff you've added in make for a great, enjoyable experience overall. excellent work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (2Y) Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"

Sounds like a pure cover to start, but when you side-by-side it with the source, you hear how the supporting instrumentation writing's not copied over, so that's where the personalization comes from. The levels of the leads compared to other parts didn't bother me, but I understand why MindWanderer & prophetik pointed it out.

Interesting that lots of stuff is played in live according to Logan, because some of the parts felt stilted, industrial style notwithstanding. For example, when the "BRRR" pattern from :00 is doubled by an electic guitar synth around :41, that part sounded too stiff. And I definitely was not a fan of the thin & exposed claps, but they at least fit in better within the first half (:00-2:23) while not at all during the transition into the second half (2:24-2:56) -- which was the track's weakest portion -- and again from 3:13-3:28. Also, the way the lead articulates from 2:56-3:13 & 3:59-4:17 was stilted, but the keyboard and comping stuff in between was strong.

The first half's stronger on production and less on the arrangement, then the second half's stronger on arrangement and less on the production, so there's unrealized potential all across the board and it prevents me from immersing myself in this. I'd argue that the first half was produced in a more cohesive-sounding way, while 2:24-on had portions that felt more WIP like, mainly because of that flimsy clap. Would love this tightened up more (claps & electronic leads in the second half, and also tweaking the balance between the parts), but even if the level of polish was inconsistant, what's there gets it done and has "official arrange album" vibes all over it. :-)

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/14 - (3Y) Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"

This is an interesting, evolving arrangement. The soundscape is very cool and captures that 90s industrial house vibe well.  I agree about the drums being on the weak side, especially that clap, ooof.  I also don't care for panned elements, especially drums (I start wondering if my other ear has broken) and I agree that some of the leads are on the quiet side.  But this arrangement gets it done for me.  The two sources flow really well one into the other.  Nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2022/09/14) *YES - TAG* Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04466 - *YES* Mischief Makers "The Floor Is Lava"
  • Liontamer locked this topic