Your ReMixer name: Pixel Pirates
Your real name: Tobaunta Torkelsson & Fredrik Vinterstjärna
Your email address:

Your website: pixelpirates.nu
Your userid: 37469 

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario World
Name of arrangement: Super Pixel World
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Overworld 

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: As if the original song from SMW did not make you happy enough we tried to make it even happier and more up-beat as always.

Edited by prophetik music

Opens up with a bumpin' club beat. The voice samples don't add much, but don't hurt anything; I did like the SFX though. Mixing-wise, I wish there was more sharpness, and that there was better balance with the parts, though it's a stylistic choice to make the beats and saws so prominent.

Writing-wise, I do wish there were more dynamics; since it's a short track, once the track first ramps up at :13, you basically have an aggressive & full sound the rest of the way, though there were parts dropping in and out to vary up the textures.

1:08 did another rendition of the theme with some grace notes thrown in, followed by another iteration at 1:34 with an original countermelody. 
The track ends very unceremoniously with an abrupt fadeout, when it could have had a longer trail and felt like an actual resolution.

Though the approach can appear to be just a bread-and-butter dance/trance rendition, the source tune does have more textural depth, there were subtleties there to vary up the textures and add some other interpretive writing & ornamentation. Those positives may be more apparent by bouncing around the track in segments moreso than a straight listen through, because the overall energy is loud throughout. With the piece being so brief though, this is close, but I did feel that the ending really should be on point; hopefully the source files aren't kaput.

Consider some futher mixing tweaks from section to section to make the segments feel more different besides these gradual changes, though that's more of a nice to have. The others may need more convincing, though I do ask that they not dismiss the subtle yet substantive aspects of arrangement besides the genre adaptation. For me, I just need a developed ending with more of a resolution; doesn't really matter if it's an extended fadeout, or writing something else to cap it, but this weird cutoff doesn't do it! :-D

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/26 - (1N) Super Mario World "Super Pixel World"

Well, that bass and kick are on point, particularly when they stand on their own in the intro and outro. Those saws though are just too much of a wall of sound for me to find it pleasant for the whole track.  Normally, a break section gives you a break from the low-end, (as the break section here does), however I find myself wanting a break from the lead - or at least a switch-up.

SFX are used well, and I do expect them in this genre. Remember though that in the game, when you hop on Yoshi there's additional percussion that comes in. I'd love a nod to that!

Some nice countermelody stuff in there with the clean, pluck-style synth, which works well and cuts through that wall of sound, although I was disappointed at the omission of the source's B section (0:34 in the source tune), which has its own fun melody and countermelody interplay. The ending doesn't cut it at all though I'm afraid. Sounds like the sample's been cut off early.

Overall it's a decent effort, but there needs to be some switchup of that supersaw for me to pass this one. It's too fatiguing as-is. Fix the ending, and I'd love a B section as well, but not essential.

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/09/26 - (2N) Super Mario World "Super Pixel World"

intro sounds good. there's a simplified version of the melody, and then it cuts to the initial melodic content at 0:41. there's a no-bass playthrough of the melodic content, and then everything's together at 1:08 - over half the track has been essentially intro content.

the play-through of the melody with everything going is fine, and there's some new stuff at 1:35, which is welcome (but doesn't seem to have the same reverb and room presence as the rest of the track). the melody, bass, and drums are all copypasta from 1:08 though. then the track very suddenly ends at not quite 2:10 in duration.

a few thoughts:

• this is a very, very short track. a true breakdown section where the beat is totally different, the synths change, and the approach changes would be well-suited to breaking up the track and providing dynamic contrast.
  • the synth lead is fine initially, but not changing it the entire track is tiresome. mixing that up or layering in additional (more distinct, less fuzzy) leads would help a lot.
  • this is a short melodic snippet. there's room for transitions, new chords, and new interpretations of the melody without adding too much bulk to the track.

the arrangement on this one holds it back a lot. it's essentially half intro and half repeated copypasta. adding in a lot more variation to your counterpoint and synth work would help a ton.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to *NO* Super Mario World "Super Pixel World"