OCR04463 - *YES* Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"

Emunator

• Bio-hazard Battle (Crying)
  • Name of arrangement: Pathogen Zero
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: TITLE
  • Bio-hazard Battle (Japanese name: Crying) SEGA 1992
  • Bio-Hazard Battle Mega Drive Title Music - YouTube
  • My goal here was to convey the brooding ominous feel of the original using modern production and sound design techniques, including claustrophobic reverb, disturbing soundscapes, and increasing volume (same as the original) but at the same time keep the Sega FM feel and the overall structure of the original. I essentially combined the theme from Level 1 into the Title theme to make it more complete, but kept the simple structure of the title theme. I also used the original FM lead thanks to Plogue's Sega FM emulator Megadrive synth, as well as designed modern versions of the old sounds (as well as adding totally new ones). Besides those, every sound in the piece was synthesized from scratch including the drums. I also strove to keep the boomy bassy feel of the original by adding several layers of bass on top of each other. I hope the fans enjoy and it brings some attention back to this much neglected classic!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/10/21 - Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting. It starts off almost like a sound upgrade, especially with the FM lead.  I don't think that was an effective choice, since it diminishes how extensive the remix is otherwise, and the sound quality is just so primitive in comparison to the rest of the track.

However, other than that, this is firing on all cylinders.  It makes effective use of the second source to expand on the first, it has a lot of neat textural elements and a unique soundscape. Great way to make an overall dark tone without neglecting the high end of the sound spectrum. I'm not even sure how it does that, but it does. Nice work.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/10/21 - (1Y) Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"
  • 3 weeks later...

I was definitely unsure of employing the same sounds and timbre of the "Title" theme to start, but then heard how the "Stage 1" theme was adapted into that soundset, so I then understood the approach more and didn't have any interpretation concerns.

At 1:08, some synths creeped in and got louder to reveal almost a Streets of Rage Remake-type feel. If it weren't for the slower tempo, I'd think this was SoR material.

1:59 added more writing into the background to escalate things; crowded but effective overall, then a pretty omimous dropoff of the saws at 2:23, followed by a downright scary rise in volume of the noise peaking at 2:48. The music ended at 3:00 and things capped off with an SFX-based finish.

From a personal standpoint, I don't love the sound palette, but I damn sure respect and fear it. :-D Aggressive and intense, nice job, Parker!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/10/21 - (2Y) Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"

some real meaty intro work. the heavily verbed fm pads sound great, and that intro synth is real nasty. there's a real funky arp that comes in at 0:47 that's super aggressively loud - maybe too loud - and then some drums that build in around the one minute mark. there's some leads that are in at 1:12, with another shift in timbre. throughout this entire first minute or so i've really appreciated the space in between some of the repeated tones - gives it a really hard, robotic feel.

there's another big build into 1:48, and we hear some more similar stuff to what we heard prior to that in different voicings. there's more of the melodic material in a hornet lead that falls off hard after 2:25. we get another big FM-y build of noise and a hard falloff at 2:48 with glitchy effects, and this progresses to an outro.

my one complaint in the arrangement is we never get a big blow through the melodic material with both a meaty, heavy bass instrument playing and the big higher synths going at it. it feels like we get two parts to the whole but never hear them combined. that said, what's here is a fun arrangement that doesn't overstay its welcome. the mastering is big but doesn't feel too loud (outside the initial presentation of the big FM arp at 0:47) and doesn't ever feel crunchy unintentionally. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/10/21 - (3Y) Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoa, ok this is the type of mix I really like, aggressive and weird.  The synths and sfx sound amazing.  The two sources mesh together seamlessly into one cohesive arrangement. 

I do wish there was a little more difference between the two builds and between the two main drops.  Although I hear subtle variations in writing, backing elements added as it moves along, the sections veer dangerously close to being too repetitive since the sounds are the same throughout the piece.  I agree with prophetik that a huge combined section would have been super exciting.  I think it even could have gone one more round with another build and something completely original added (new sound, or new writing) for good measure.  But, what's here is too awesome!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04463 - *YES* Bio-Hazard Battle "Pathogen Zero"
  • Liontamer locked this topic