OCR04427 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours" *PRIORITY*

Emunator

Hey ocremix team!

I'd like to submit one of my latest arrangements. Some information first!

ReMixer name: Mental
email address: 
my social media:
https://mentalpainmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/mentalpainmusicofficial
userid: 17600

Name of game: Donkey Kong Country 2
Name of original soundtrack: Stickerbush Symphony
Name of my arrangement: Watercolours

My Motivation:
Stickerbush Symphony is one of the pieces I always wanted to remake.
This arrangement becoming trance was never my intention, as it started out as synthwave.
After looking for some other arrangements as reference, I noticed there was already a good amount of (synthwave) remixes, so I opted for Uplifting Trance.
Trance is also something I never wrote before, so it was a fun challenge for me as well!

About the remix:
I followed the traditional layout of starting with the kickdrum and ending with the kickdrum.
So if it may come as a slow buildup; this was an intended design feature (which I'm not sure if it fits the rest of the ocremix portfolio).
I tried to make the beginning and the ending more interesting though with textures and effects.

Best regards and stay safe

Ly

Solid trance.  Nothing really surprising here in terms of style or content; it does exactly what it says on the tin.  Everything comes together exactly as it should.

I was slightly concerned about source usage, but I started to timestamp it, and listening closely, some sort of source is always present between 1:15 and 6:07, so it's fine on that front.

I have nothing else to add.  Simple approach, simple vote.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/12/18 - (1Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours"

Very subtle use of the source material, but it checks out - through the iconic Stickerbush arpeggio, to the chords that translate beautifully to strings and choir, to the delicate piano melody, it's all there. On the production front, this is very competently put together, despite being a complete 180 from Ly's previous submission in terms of style. It's not groundbreaking, but in true trance fashion, it gets better and better as the track goes on. When everything reaches maximum velocity, it sounds fantastic. 

Easy vote for me once I made sure the source checks out. Can't wait to see what you surprise us with next!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2022/12/18 - (2Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours"

nice initial hit. i appreciate the patience in the build - you've got a 7+ minute palette, using all of it is definitely the right choice. the initial hit at 0:55 where the bass comes in feels great, and the fat, short snare sounds great alongside it.

we start to get more obvious theme correlations around 1:30, and there's a great drop and extended exploration before it really starts to build hard into the complete picture. again, the patience is just very good. i didn't expect the liquidy chorus for a quarter of the track, but it was a fun shift and helped keep the half-time feel going alongside the synthy strings and distant keys.

when the wide arpy lead comes in after the 4 minute mark, you really get the feel that it's time to buckle in because now you're going to be in a ride to the finish. i loved the anticipation this built. 4:45 is a great payoff, and getting the extended outro from 6:07 onward was even better since i figured we were going to be in a downswing after the payoff finally had hit. 

the track is mastered effectively and sounds great. it features source throughout and handles it in a new but recognizable fashion. excellent work - this is a track i'll definitely be coming back to.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/12/18 - (3Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours"

This is definitely the extended DJ mix with the long intro and outro.  The Stickerbrush arp doesn't enter until 1:17 or so but then it is clearly recognizable. No source from 2:06-2:20, after which the chord progression from the source begins in the breakdown, plus little bits of source arps, which is lovely. The breakdown is gorgeous but feels a bit long for a trance track; I think some light percussion could have been introduced earlier.  The build back into the core beat is well executed. As MW stated, solid trance, it does what it says on the tin. Mixing and mastering are well done. Nice groovy, varied, danceable track. 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/12/18 - *YES - TAG* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04427 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Watercolours" *PRIORITY*
  • prophetik music locked this topic