OCR04428 - *YES* Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario 64 "Banned Wagon Mix" *RESUB* *PRIORITY*

Liontamer

=== link to submission:
-->  <--

this track was made by me in Renoise, using:
* Samples From Mars
* Rave Generator
* Mario Maker 2 samples

=== contact information
* remixer name: jneen-collective
* email address: 
* forum user id: 38527

=== submission information
* game: Super Mario Maker for Wii U, Super Mario Maker 2 for Nintendo Switch
* arrangement name: Mario Maker - Banned Wagon Mix
* track remixed: Main Theme

=== additional game information:

So for my first submission I said this was from Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch), but apparently the version there is an arrangement of the original theme from Super Mario Maker (Wii U). Truth is, this theme is all over both games, in the title screens, credits, and in Story Mode.

Super Mario Maker (Wii U) version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn60nAbieF4
Super Mario Maker 2 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0nNf4zfsU
SMM2
 also has 8-bit versions and a Night Mode version.

The mashup bit was inspired by the credits version in SMM2, where the B section of the SMB1 Ground theme is played over the main theme: https://youtu.be/3CUL1QJz91U?t=117

Mario Maker music was composed by:
Koji Kondo
Naoto Kubo
Asuka Hayazaki

Mario Maker 2 Music was composed by:
Atsuko Asahi
Toru Minegishi
Sayako Doi

=== mix comments

Original comments:
this mix was originally made as a theme for the Banned Wagon Team, but we eventually decided to use a different track. it came out really well though, so i wanted to polish it up and send it in. bass parts are all original, the breakbeat is custom sliced, and i added a lot of space to the harmonic rhythm to let the d&b elements and a couple melodic flairs shine through. mastered to approximately -14 lufs, peaking momentarily around -11, but i can render the unmastered version on request. hope you enjoy!

On new version:
* Added some mix variations on the breakbeat in the first loop
* Broke apart the drum pattern in the second loop and added ride cymbals and claps
* Added an entire new section with a resampled and re-sliced breakbeat and Big Horns and quotes inspired by the credits version of the track
* Tamed the bass quite a lot
* Differentiated the ear-candy bits in the mix a little more, hopefully now they sound distinct enough to not slip into the uncanny-valley they were in before.

* Slightly more aggressive mastering, still targeting the youtube guidelines - can provide unmastered as well.

Thanks to Hemophiliac and all the other judges for your suggestions, they were quite helpful!
And thanks a ton for listening ❤️
- jneen

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/27 - (1Y) Super Mario Maker 2 "Banned Wagon Mix" *RESUB* *PRIORITY*

my original vote criticized the scatterbrained mastering and copy/paste. let's see what we have here.

2.5db headroom. sounds much better cranked up imo.

the bass is definitely tamed quite a lot! the synths sound like they're in the same bucket more than they used to be, so that's nice. the intro breakbeat is also actually break instead of loop, so that's nice too. the second iteration of everything continues to mix it up too, so it's not just the same thing. the break at 2:22 is needed and well-timed, and the shoutout from the horns is a good complexity. 3:02 continues to keep it mixed up too, even if we're back to what sounds like the first breakbeat loop.

the transition and fadeout at 3:33 is still kind of sudden, but it's fine, just a bit extended. the tail can probably be trimmed to take 10s off with a better fade envelope.

this is a great example of making a better track from some simple changes. there's so many more interesting things here now. nice work.

YES

Edited by prophetik music
the english language is three languages in a trenchcoat

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/03/27 - (2Y) Super Mario Maker 2 "Banned Wagon Mix" *RESUB* *PRIORITY*

I re-listened to this without first checking on my original vote, so I was really surprised when the SMM1* mashups began.  In retrospect they make perfect sense as a way to extend the original without making it overly repetitive. And I would say... it almost works.

The problem is that some of the mashed-up sections sometimes sound great (the first 5 notes of Underground are especially great), and sometimes clash badly.  2:39-2:41, 2:55, and 3:24-3:30 are the bits that clash. 2:55 is just a single clashing note, but 3:24-3:30 is a whole key change that really doesn't flow with everything around it.  It feels worse than it is because the two longest problematic parts are (almost) at the start and the end of the mashup section, so they're the most impactful.

After a bunch of listens, I find that the problem bugs me less the more I listen to it rather than more, so I'll add in my own

YES

* And one SM64 cameo — cheeky, since SM64 isn't one of the game modes that SMM2 covers. Bob-Omb Battlefield isn't even one of the SFX you can choose in-game.

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/03/27 - (3Y) Super Mario Maker 2 "Banned Wagon Mix" *RESUB* *PRIORITY*

The overall drum groove and pacing still feels rather static, but there are enough variations to make me happy.  The filtering at 2:22 is a nice surprise.  What a fun little ditty this is.  I love the other cameos.  It's wacky and weird and I'm enjoying this!  Mastering is still very tame, coming in at -2.5db peak, but it'll do.  I... want... to.... master this.... myself.... hehe.  Things are balanced well and it sounds fine.  Yeah this is cute and cool, let's a go.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04428 - *YES* Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario 64 "Banned Wagon Mix" *RESUB* *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer locked this topic