*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Funky Synth Sonic"

Liontamer

• Sonic 2
  • Funky Synth Sonic
  • Emerald Hill Zone
  • When I hear the original, it always screamed "funky synthesizers" to me. Is it just me? Anyway, I hope this song isn't too short for the judges. There is a lot in there, and I sped the tempo up to give it that sonic energy. I tried to put a feeling of progression and playing the game for the listener, especially during the bridge, where I also used Chipsynth MD to bring back that classic sonic slap guitar. Thank you for your consideration and time!

Edited by prophetik music

Short run-time, so it better distinguish itself from the original and also not retread stuff. The lead at :02's not hitting me right, but I'd need to have a musician judge weigh in; to me, it feels very generic, even though I like most of the other sounds used here. Because this is so short, anything cut-and-pasted allows this to feel underdeveloped, even the retread with slight variation at :47. Would have also liked 1:51 to not repeat anything, even so briefly. The shift at 1:03 was cool too, though I'd argue, even with so much going on, something felt incomplete, possibly due to the energy of this feeling stilted. The ending at 2:06 definitely feels like a sudden non-resolution, like you gave up, which was unfortunate. I like the concept, but could use 15-30 seconds of added material at the end (or elsewhere), a real ending of some sort, and perhaps (if I'm not off-base), something to help this not feel so stilted. I don't need this to sound speedier like the original, Parker, but something's still missing.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/25 - (1N) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Funky Synth Sonic"
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to agree. The timbre of the synth choices here are pretty similar to the original, so I'm looking for ways in which the remix stands out from the original. There are a lot of little flourishes and twists, but they're not significantly transformative. The breakdown at the halfway mark is pretty good, despite still keeping to the original FM palette.  On the other hand, it speaks to the length of the piece that the breakdown, which is normally a short bridge, is nearly half the length of the entire piece! After it, there's only 18 seconds left, which is a brief recap and an abrupt ending.

Overall I think this needs more development and more deviation from the source material.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/07/25 - (2N) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Funky Synth Sonic"

this is a fun approach. short remixes need to use their time extremely effectively, as the other judges have noted - repetition or extended deviations from the material need to be carefully weighed. the track feels like it needs another minute overall, if only to balance the (big and pretty fun) bridge against the repetitions of the melodic material.

i hear (roughly): A B A C A, with C being like half the piece. there's a ton of room to bring back the B material in the end, at least, especially if you're willing to branch out more and change the vibe up more around that section. A and B already have a notably different feel to them, so leaning into that would be a great compositional method.

from a mastering perspective, i think the track sounds great, and there's good clarity between all the stuff going on simultaneously. your synth choices are fun and solid, so it's more a matter of making sure there's enough actual material that's not repeated.

i'd love to hear this one back again with more body to it and a real ending.

NO