*NO* NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... "The Forest of Roc"

Liontamer

Just have the YouTube of 2010's original version of the source; if we can find it, we'll update it with 2021's v.122 version, but this should be enough to compare with the arrangement -LT

OCR judges,

I’ve been sitting on this one for too long. It’s time to submit it!

Contact Information

• ReMixer name: heymagurany
• Email:
• User ID: 34365

Submission Information

• Game arranged: NieR Replicant Ver. 122474487139...
• Name of arrangement: The Forest of Roc
• Songs arranged: The Lost Forest
• Composer: Keiichi Okabe

This is my track from the excellent Pixel Mixers NieR tribute album, NieR:Rearranged. Don’t tell anyone, but I forgot that I signed up for this song until a week before it was due! I was determined to meet that deadline so I learned, arranged, tracked, and mixed this song in a single week! I need to channel that “deadline energy” more often! To be fair, I had the arrangement in my head from the first moment I heard the song and it’s a pretty straight-forward one so there you go. Oh and the deadline was extended, so I had a little more time to mix it. 😏

This was the first time that I listened to an OST for a game that I never played. I think Spotify randomly shuffled one of the songs into a playlist and I immediately queued the OST for both NieR Gestalt/Replicant and Automata. I had to make an arrangement of one of the songs, but I just didn’t know how to take something so perfect and shape it into a rock song (since that’s my thing).

When NieR Replicant Ver. 122... was released, it was at the same time that I finally got a PS5 and decided it would be the first game I would play to break in the system. You know - a remake of a 10-year old game is perfect for state-of-the-art hardware, right? It wasn’t until I entered the desert area and I heard “The Lost Forest” in-game (yeah it’s in the desert area - if you played the game, you know) that I could hear a rock arrangement in my head. So here it is!

Oh right. I did spell “Roc” correctly. Again, play the game. 😏

Matt Magurany

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great performance with a great sound, but it's a cover. The entire structure is replicated almost 1:1, and while there are small differences in, e.g. percussion, it's mostly just an instrument swap. We can accept "genre transformations," but they have to be more substantial than just swapping in rock instruments for the originals, and that seems to be pretty much all that was done here.

It's a fun enough listen, but we're looking for something more transformational.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/07/29 - (1N) NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... "The Forest of Roc"

It's capably put together and there's some inherent personalization in performing it, though not a ton in the big picture. There's some more personalization with some of the additive ornamentation and guitar flourishes in the 2:08 section. 2:40 loops the intro material for the close. Yeah, MW's right that this is essentially a same-tempo cover with rock instrumentation. Agreed that it sounds good; it does need further aspects of interpretation involved for OCR's arrangement standards. Good for what it is; if there's openness to further developing this, Matt, we're all ears. :-)

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/29 - (2N) NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... "The Forest of Roc"

initial hit sounds great. really channels the post-grunge alt sound that was pretty popular in the early aughts. there's a piano tone in the first fifteen seconds or so that's high-pitched and irritating, but i don't hear it after that so that's no big deal. i thought the strummed sustains in the  lead guitar in the B section were wheedly too, some other ideas for how to sustain those (or put in some other licks there) might be a good idea. i liked the octaves that you do the second time around a lot better.

this unfortunately doesn't really feature any transformational arrangement. it's the original's chords and melody in guitar and bass and drums, with some extra countermelodic content in the last third of the piece. we don't do covers here, but this is certainly a capable one! for this to pass, there'd need to be more attention to arrangement to mix it up more.

NO